Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is the middles class as poor or more poor than the lower class?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 38 Replies

Middle class receives no assistance-no food stamps, no reduced or free lunches for their kids, no WIC, no help with schooling.

So is the Middle Class as poor or more poor than the lower class?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
km1970
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:24 AM

I believe there is a portion of "middle class" who have less income than lower class. They are the ones who are just over the income guidelines. These families are the ones who are suffering the most in this economy. It isn't even a matter of cutting out non essential items from their budgets. They are living bare boned. While things continue to go up, they are picking up odd jobs, second jobs..some cases third jobs just to get by.

KellBell0820
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:25 AM
The lower class is obviously poor. The middle class is a large spectrum, in the lower end, they may struggle but are they worse off than the actual poor? I wouldn't think so. Also, it can be about managing money. In the lower class they just don't have enough, they can not get by without the help. For lower middle class, sometimes the money is there but it's mis managed.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM
I agree-we are that-just over the income guidelines. We did not qualify for reduced lunch. We do not qualify for anything. We make it but are struggling.
Quoting km1970:

I believe there is a portion of "middle class" who have less income than lower class. They are the ones who are just over the income guidelines. These families are the ones who are suffering the most in this economy. It isn't even a matter of cutting out non essential items from their budgets. They are living bare boned. While things continue to go up, they are picking up odd jobs, second jobs..some cases third jobs just to get by.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:27 AM
I don't think for all middle class it is mismanaged.
Quoting KellBell0820:

The lower class is obviously poor. The middle class is a large spectrum, in the lower end, they may struggle but are they worse off than the actual poor? I wouldn't think so. Also, it can be about managing money. In the lower class they just don't have enough, they can not get by without the help. For lower middle class, sometimes the money is there but it's mis managed.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:28 AM
If you are just over the guidelines you are still working class. Living paycheck to paycheck is not middle class.

Quoting km1970:

zianneaaliyah
by 4ever LMFAO on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Are we talking poor or broke? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Obviously you have no idea whats its like for these ppl. My husband works 40ish hours and gets paid hardly anyyhing. We have one car, totally paid for but really really high in miles. We stay in my parents land becauae we cant afford our own house. I have a very strict budget, but if something werr to happen like a.hospital visit we'd be screwed. We dont have cable, we dont spend money on things we dont ned. But because my husband makes just over the line we have no help. It would be somewhat nice to get some help so we could afford our own home or even anyother car but we dont.

Now you try telling me that the poor who get almost free houses(section 8, rent based on your income) fs, and then any other kind of help, or even wic. Those ppl are blessed somewhat to have a helping hand, but I wish they would see it as that, and then they might be a little more grateful.

Quoting KellBell0820:

KellBell0820
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Well no, and it can be mis managed no matter how much you make. I think your referring to the difference between those below the poverty level and those within the working poor though. Middle class is a big spectrum but if I remember right it's not technically reached until a family is making like 40,000 a year.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't think for all middle class it is mismanaged.

Quoting KellBell0820:

Angelicembrace
by The Dorkfish on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:39 AM

I feel like there isn't a middle class anymore--or at least it's diminishing fast. I feel like it's the poor, and the working poor.

Whenever life gets tough I just remember this..

The Water Temple.

thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I fall within federal poverty guidelines but I make too much for any assistance.

I'm poor.

I'm not sure about middle class
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)