Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Parents actually drop off their pre-k kids at birthday parties?

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 279 Replies
My daughter is 4.5. She has been invited to a few parties in the last few weeks. I was at one party at a farm with her last week. Her friend came who we've had several play dates with. Her mother had a leak in her bathroom and had to get stuff at Home Depot so she dropped her off. I told her we would watch over her since she was with my daughter. It was all fineand the girl was well behaved but I got the impression she's been dropped off before.
Then when I went to another party at a gymnastic place a mom asked me if we just drop them off. I didn't know what to say.
Do people drop them off this early? I drop her off at other types of events like at My Gym , not birthday parties but for gym play time and of course school but birthday parties( I'm not talking close family parties but strangers).
What was the age you dropped your little one off for a party?

** thanks guys for all your responses. I wasn't sure what was the norm out there. Looks like the majority thought they were too young and even if you did think they were ok be glad your kids behave well at other peoples houses.
Certain circumstances like a gymnastics place such as my gym, the little gym - all the kids are being watched and it's a franchise with background check on all staff. That is ok with me and sometimes parents are encouraged to leave. I think it's all new at this age. I am not a helicopter mom and do appreciate the break. The reason I am wary is because some close friends were molested at another friends house multiple times. All their parents were close and had no idea. Although I never went over there, and nothing happened to me I see how it changed their lives and never want this to happen to my girl.
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I never did but that is just me. 

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Around here people are careful to specify on the invites if they are OK with children being dropped off, or if they expect an older sibling or adult to accompany.

I personally think under 5 is definately too young to be dropped off with strangers.  After that age I think it starts coming down to other factors like maturity levels, if you know other adults at the party, party location, whether your child knows how to call on your phone, etc.

2Sparrows4ever
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
That's a little young IMHO to be dropped off at a public place like that for a party, if it was at their home as long as I knew the parent(s) it wouldn't be such a big deal
trulyblessed618
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:15 AM
My boys are 3 and I would not drop them off at a party and don't plan on it till they are much older and I would have to feel comfortable...if I ever do lol
Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Around 1st grade is when a lot of the invitations say drop off on is what I noticed . I did the same but parent's are welcome to stay if they want too.
ZoeCY
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM

My daughter is 5.5 and I haven't dropped her off yet.  

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I was surprised the first time I had a party for my son and people just dropped their little ones off.  My daughter's in 2nd grade.  She's only gone to parties where I know the parents so I'm fine leaving except if there's a pool involved.  She was invited to a backyard pool party this summer and I did stay because 2 sets of eyes and 20 children isn't a good ratio for me especially when little ones run up and ask questions- show me the bathroom, can I get something to eat, etc that preoccupies 1 person so there's only 1 set of eyes watching the other 19 kids in the pool.  The first time I left her she was 6, the party was given by someone I knew very well and it was at a craft place so the kids were contained in a room.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:18 AM

If it's an organized party, like a gym, etc.  then yes.  Many times those places are way too small to have a million parents milling around.  They have the contact information.  You sign the waver and go get something accomplished while your kid is having fun. 

Leobaby2007
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

I just found out a mother of a child in my son's kindergarten class did this at a birthday party a few weeks ago. She tapped the birthday girl's mother on the shoulder as she dropped her daughter off and said, "I have things to do. So, I'll pick her up at 6?"

Birthday girl's mom was appalled and so am I. Like the rest of us don't have "things to do"? Why do some people even have children?

Leobaby2007
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:21 AM

My son is 6, and same here. 

Quoting trulyblessed618:

My boys are 3 and I would not drop them off at a party and don't plan on it till they are much older and I would have to feel comfortable...if I ever do lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN