Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For those of you moms with.... (Needing advice desperately THANKS!)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 184 Replies
3 moms liked this

If you have kids who read ABOVE their grade level........... what exactly did you do to get them to be advanced readers?

I keep hearing about kids in 2nd grade who read at a 5th grade level etc etc etc

Please share your secrets! THANKS!

UPDATE:

Thanks everyone for your advice! There are lots and lots of helpful responses. At thes same time however, this post has made me depressed and the song "if I could turn back time" is currently playing over and over in my head.

Acutally I jsut made a post for a tutor on a  website a few minutes ago.Hope I can find him a good tutor.

He is in 2nd grade and was tested at 2.0 reading level at the end of first grade. However, just amonth ago, in second grdade, he tests at 1.8. His AR reading level is 1.5 to 2.5. 

I have now made it a goal to make up for lost time. We'll see how we do.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sam12796
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM
3 moms liked this

My DD is in 1st grade she reads at a 4th grade level. I read to her every night. I practiced her sight words every day. I let her quiz me on them and I would spell some wrong so she could "correct" me and spell it the right way helping her to learn. I made it fun by making up stories and making our own books together.

malissaL
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:21 PM

my daughter can read very well, has always tested (fluency and pronunciation) above grade level..but her comprehension is below grade level. 

olivia_benson
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM
3 moms liked this

I read a lot and started reading to him at 6 weeks in my stomach, lol

I think it's just a love of reading. No big deal, don't sweat it!

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Read to them ALL the time.  Make books exciting things that you "get to" read as soon as you can. I can still remember my Mom saying that I would "get to" read all these fabulous books for myself soon.  I was a fluent reader at 4. 

Be a reader yourself.  Share things you have read in books that excite you. 

Teach them to read using phonics (not sure if they do that now, or that sight reading thing now).  I taught my kids how to read from Alpha Phonics.  Both are significantly advanced students, years ahead of grade level. 

If you have opportunity, give them Latin classes.  It REALLY helps with everything else. 

KHardik
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I always heard that reading to your children (even if they're too young to understand) will help them get a love for reading and books. My mom did that with me and I love reading. As for reading above their level? I don't think there are any tricks. I think it's more about your child's independent abillities. You can't force a kid to excell like that. Maybe just having them read more? It will get them experience? Or giving them a 5th grade level book when in 4th grade? It may help

starbuckmom03
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM

I started my oldest, 8yrs old now, at 4 with How to Teach your Child to read in 100 easy lessons. We got half way through and he took off on his own. He does really well with reading.

As soon as my twins, 4 1/2, know their letters well and their sounds, I will be using the same book but am open to other ways to teach as each child learns differently.

fairyjester
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM
3 moms liked this
I was at a 5th grade level by the middle of 1st grade, honestly my parents did nothing special, I just took to reading like a duck to water
caligirl7613
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:25 PM
keep them interested in reading, read to them from the time they are very young...ALOT. give them a love of stories. write silly ones with them, read silly ones to them. help them imagine THEY are in the book, what would they do, how would they react etc. limit tv. i really stress READ to my kids. they get MAYBE a half hour of tv a day. lastly some kids...well its just not going to be their thing u know. they may be able to read on a high level but if they dont enjoy it..well...they dont
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM
7 moms liked this
I think it is more about natural ability than anything they are taught. Some kids just excel at certain things.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I just give mine books. He has always had a large vocabulary and used big words. He reads and I tell him to come to me if he needs help with a word.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)