Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For those of you moms with.... (Needing advice desperately THANKS!)

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

If you have kids who read ABOVE their grade level........... what exactly did you do to get them to be advanced readers?

I keep hearing about kids in 2nd grade who read at a 5th grade level etc etc etc

Please share your secrets! THANKS!

UPDATE:

Thanks everyone for your advice! There are lots and lots of helpful responses. At thes same time however, this post has made me depressed and the song "if I could turn back time" is currently playing over and over in my head.

Acutally I jsut made a post for a tutor on a  website a few minutes ago.Hope I can find him a good tutor.

He is in 2nd grade and was tested at 2.0 reading level at the end of first grade. However, just amonth ago, in second grdade, he tests at 1.8. His AR reading level is 1.5 to 2.5. 

I have now made it a goal to make up for lost time. We'll see how we do.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM
Replies (181-184):
1uniquemommy86
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I started my kids with flash cards before age 2. I homeschool. I started phonics lessons at age 3. My daughter just turned 6 but she's already in 2nd grade. She reads and writes like you'd expect a middle schooler to read and write. Practice practice practice. My 22 month old son recognized 9-11 written words.
MotherOfPurpose
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Just read to them and talk with them often but do not restrict the books and conversation to what you think they can understand. Read and talk about what interest them without limiting your vocabulary.

I also have always given mine books even when they were what some ppl thought as too young, the only difference being when they were at the age where they were more likely to destroy them, I just never paid full price for books or in some cases didn't pay at all.

We also went to activities at the library from about 15 months on though I did not let them check out any books until they were at least 4 yrs old.  Our library had alot of good early childhood activities.

For comprehesion I just ask mine simple but fun questions about what we read like what's the name of the main person/animal in the book that you remember? Do you think you would want to play with or be friends with said character?Do you like what they named the book what would you name the book or story if you could?

Most importantly I would just keep it fun..period I wouldn't be too pushy with drills, let them pick the content..though that can get annoying reading the same book,comic,mag about princesses or cars 100 times but it's more important that they like/love doing it at least when they are little.

Doing the above mine read and comprehend above grade level esp my 5 yr (reading at late 2nd /early 3rd grade level)..I was alittle alarmed the first time her teacher sent her home with an AR 3.1 book I freaked out but she did well with it. The good news is once they get it and they like it they will shock you how far they can go.

kstchr
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Both my girls read very well. My oldest tested at 11th grade reading level when she was in 5th grade (she's now in 6th). I don't know where my youngest is, reading level-wise, as they don't really test them at the younger ages, but she is an excellent reader. I don't know if what I did was a "secret" or not, but here's what I did:  I read to her since she was very young, helped her find letters that she knew (started with the letters in her name, and pointed them out ANYWHERE we saw them...when we were going for walks, I'd point them out on signs too.  I talked with them about what was going on, what we were seeing on our walks, anything. (I'm sure plenty of people who overheard me were wondering why I was babbling on and on!)  When they kept wanting to hear their favorite book over and over again, I read it over & over again...and asked them to help finish a sentence that they knew while I pointed out the words that they said. (After I couldn't stand to read a particular story again, I'd have them read it to me...and they really could "read" the story word for word, just from memory and looking at the pictures!)  They've also had their own "library" at home, as well as books from the library--storytime at the library was a favorite weekly activity when they were small! I also wrote down their stories that they told me, and later on they started writing their own stories.

When kids are older, I think a big part of getting them to read more is for them to see the adults around them reading. Have them help you by reading a recipe (or directions) to you, make sure they always have books that interest them at home, encourage their interests by finding books about their latest "fad"

BabyandaBigBoy
by on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM
Don't be down there is still plenty of time to turn this around. Just make reading a fun thing. Read to him, let him read to you, let him pick his own books and fun magazines about things he is interested in. My son loves reading Nat Geo kids (with help) and Ranger Rick magazines. Reading about bugs and sharks, etc. makes ut fun for him. And don't let it slack during the summer! We read a few days a week for 15 minutes a book of his choosing. When we finish the book he gets to pick a new one and that's a fun thing for him. (son is in 2nd grade)
I will note tho that I am an avid reader and husband is def not. So give it your best, but if he's not a reader then so be it!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN