Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

he wants to sign over rights

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 55 Replies
What are the chances? Most likely, he's just saying shit. But seriously, I just wanna be done with him.... ds doesn't care one way or another (he'd rather NOT go see him, if that tells you anything)

Anyways, he only wants to do it because he owes almost $20,000 in back support and I refuse to cancel it. Why should I? Imo, it's not my money, it's ds'....

The situation- we were never married, only went to court for cs, not for visitations (he has no actual rights until he takes me to court)... ds is almost 8 and they really don't have a relationship. I'm not married, and no one is willing to 'stand in' as the father.

We live in Ohio and I have verbal proof of him saying he doesn't want anything to do with anything if I won't take the amount down to $0.... that he'll sign over rights.... same conversation though, he said that's not what he said and I'm FORCING him to sign over rights.

I did say, if that's how he felt, he needs to truly think it over. I don't like the idea, I want ds and him to know each other but it's something that he needs to decide on.

Could he actually sign his rights over, to get rid of the $20,000 debt he has? Could I use the verbal proof of him saying wants to sign over rights, just in case he tries to go for visits? (At this point, he'd only do it outta spite. He doesn't truly care about ds, which I'm now finally seeing)
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM
3 moms liked this
He would still owe the money and unless you have a husband that is willing to adopt, he can't just give up rights.
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:39 AM
1 mom liked this
No. It doesn't work that way in most cases. He would still be liable for back child support. It would be up to you and the judge to cancel further charges to the case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacey541
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:42 AM
My sister had her ex's rights terminated and her dh adopted...they still got cs checks for years until the back was paid off-but only until the adoption time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:43 AM
Would they be able to cancel future charges? Honestly I really don't care, I don't get the money as it is, but it is nice thinking that maybe one day, ds might get it.

Ds is still on state medical coverage. Should've added that in the OP.

Quoting acrogodess:

No. It doesn't work that way in most cases. He would still be liable for back child support. It would be up to you and the judge to cancel further charges to the case.
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM
Nope.

And did he legitimate the child in order to get that child support order.
acrogodess
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM
Ah. Then no. He will be held liable. Lol. And he would be stupid to go into court with that amount of debt to the state and you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Would they be able to cancel future charges? Honestly I really don't care, I don't get the money as it is, but it is nice thinking that maybe one day, ds might get it.

Quoting acrogodess:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM
we didn't. The arrears were erased. Over 25k. it sucked, truly sucked

Quoting stacey541:

My sister had her ex's rights terminated and her dh adopted...they still got cs checks for years until the back was paid off-but only until the adoption time.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:46 AM
1 mom liked this
That wouldn't have happened if she didn't have a dh though right? Ugh. I love being single, but seriously times like this I'm looking around like, "where's my knight in shining armor?" Lol

Quoting stacey541:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:49 AM
He already went to prison for it and still won't pay.... but admits that he's working under the table for $30/ day. Ugh what's a girl to do?

Honestly I just want some peace and quiet. I'm dealing with enough as it is and I'm sick of him popping up whenever he feels like it, then he gets mad bc I already planned stuff. We aren't just gonna sit and wait for you to call- that takes weeks!.

Quoting acrogodess:

Ah. Then no. He will be held liable. Lol. And he would be stupid to go into court with that amount of debt to the state and you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting acrogodess:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:50 AM
I'm so sorry for being stupid.... but I have no idea what that question means. :-(

Quoting justpeachy71904:

Nope.

And did he legitimate the child in order to get that child support order.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN