Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I honestly think

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM
  • 21 Replies

Money has nothing to do with happiness. I'll admit not having to stress about bills would be so awesome, but honestly I've never had to not worry about it. We were poor when I was growing up, and we're getting by now, but it's never been easy. I guess it's just my personality, but I've always been the one to say "it's ok, we'll be ok, we have each other and that's what matters." I got lucky with very grounded children who don't throw a fit when they don't get everything they want and are just as happy to go to the park and play and take a walk with mom and dad as they are to go to Dollywood for the day. I grew up this way, I'm working to change it with school and working as much as I can to get ahead, but I'm happy. I wish some of the people around me would realise that hard work and being greatful for what you have is the key to happiness, not getting as much out of everyone as you can since they're not willing to work. Ok vent over.

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tattooedmama333
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:44 AM

I feel the exact same way! I have had nothing and I have had over $100,00 a year. I was far happier in the middle. Not living pay check to pay check but not having a whole lot more either. Makes you appreciate what you do have SO much more!

sugarcrisp
by Ruby Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Having a home makes me pretty happy and when money issues got to the point where I might lose my home, my happiness diminished. I won't like me kids go homeless with me. I'll sign them over to my mother. That also takes my happiness away. Even just the thought.

So yeah... money keeps us happy.

JenniferW67
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:45 AM

If your focus is only on money, whether you're rich or poor, you'll never be happy.

mattsgirl22521
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:47 AM

When I was growing up I had a friend who was pretty well off and her family was SO dysfunctional she would rather stay at my cheap apartment with me and my mom (who was freaking awesome) than stay at her house with her mom because she was so verbally abusive. It just showed me so clearly what I had in my mom and made me appreciate it more. Now with dh, who is a MAJOR worrier, I'm just like "babe we're ok. we're not going to be homeless, we're not going to starve. Things may be tight but we'll survive and we'll be OK cause we have each other, we have three awesome kids, we're GREAT."

Quoting tattooedmama333:

I feel the exact same way! I have had nothing and I have had over $100,00 a year. I was far happier in the middle. Not living pay check to pay check but not having a whole lot more either. Makes you appreciate what you do have SO much more!

PoisonEyeV
by _ on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM

In this day and age money plays a huge part in happiness whether some of us like to admit to it or not. I know I'd be much happier if we had a little more money coming in. FACT.

mattsgirl22521
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM

That's not really what I meant. I hope everything works out for you. I mean people who are doing ok but are like "oh if only I had this I would be happy." It doesn't work that way.

Quoting sugarcrisp:

Having a home makes me pretty happy and when money issues got to the point where I might lose my home, my happiness diminished. I won't like me kids go homeless with me. I'll sign them over to my mother. That also takes my happiness away. Even just the thought.

So yeah... money keeps us happy.

Amybelle
by AmyAzing on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:48 AM

being able to enjoy, cherish and value the simple, "free things" in life is NOT exculsive to those without money.

tattooedmama333
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:49 AM

This!! My kids hate going to peoples homes that have a lot of money. I have found that, on a whole not all, are cold and not super maternal. Sad

Quoting mattsgirl22521:

When I was growing up I had a friend who was pretty well off and her family was SO dysfunctional she would rather stay at my cheap apartment with me and my mom (who was freaking awesome) than stay at her house with her mom because she was so verbally abusive. It just showed me so clearly what I had in my mom and made me appreciate it more. Now with dh, who is a MAJOR worrier, I'm just like "babe we're ok. we're not going to be homeless, we're not going to starve. Things may be tight but we'll survive and we'll be OK cause we have each other, we have three awesome kids, we're GREAT."

Quoting tattooedmama333:

mattsgirl22521
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:52 AM

No no no, I'm not saying it's exclusive to those without money at all. I'm saying when worrying about having excessive amounts of money out of the picture you find that money isn't the be all and end all that some people think it is. You can be happy with simple, free things and be crazy rich.

Quoting Amybelle:

being able to enjoy, cherish and value the simple, "free things" in life is NOT exculsive to those without money.

mattsgirl22521
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:54 AM

You would be happier because you would be more stress free or because you would be able to have more things? I guess what I'm really thinking is people put to much importance on material wealth and not on the everyday things that are so important. For me, maybe not everyone but me, having my family, a roof, and food I'm happy. I don't need all the other stuff. Do I want to give my kids everything they ever want? Of course, most parents do. Do I think it will make them better people? No, not at all.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

In this day and age money plays a huge part in happiness whether some of us like to admit to it or not. I know I'd be much happier if we had a little more money coming in. FACT.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)