Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you a school lunch or home lunch mom?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM
  • 276 Replies

Letting My Kids Eat School Lunch Makes Me Feel Like a Bad Mom

by Michele Zipp

school lunchEvery day at school drop off I have to write down on a whiteboard if my child is eating school lunch or home lunch. We are school lunch people. There are home lunch people. To my surprise, lots of them. Being on the school lunch people list makes me feel like a bad mom. I fail to lovingly prepare turkey and cheese sandwiches cut in hearts. I don’t supply cute Hello Kitty lunch boxes with the carrots cut just so and the celery is perfectly ready to dip into the homemade hummus carefully wrapped in a little jar.  

I do all those things though. Except the homemade hummus. I just don’t do them on school days. But then I think of the “institutional” meats and bread that isn’t 298 grain and the milk that isn’t organic, the eggs that come from who-knows-what-fed chickens and the exposure to juice that isn’t freshly squeezed and I feel guilty, guilty, guilty. 

Yes, I guess I am that mom. The one who probably would still be breastfeeding if my kids didn’t quit me. The one who doesn’t let them eat most of the candy on Halloween. The one who buys organic and freshly squeezes juice and buys only the most natural hummus. Now that my kids are school lunch kids, what they are eating is somewhat out of my control. Unless of course I decide to start making lunches for them to take to school. Which, quite honestly, sounds exhausting.

I'm not much of a cook (hence the store bought hummus). I am a boring eater when it comes to lunch (dinner, well that's a whole other story). So I kind of sort of feel that exposing them to school lunch opens them up to a whole range of foods I haven't given them yet. Or maybe I'm just telling myself that to not feel so guilty.

It's not that they are eating poison. Right?!?! They have things like jasmine rose rice, garlicky green beans, and sunrise corn bread -- these are really on the menu at my kids' school. And not things I've ever prepared for them myself. I give them plenty of good stuff but like I mentioned, I'm a little conservative when it comes to menu. Maybe I'm just feeling like here I am sending my little ones -- my twins -- to preschool and just sending them off without any foodie nuggets of love from Mama. They aren't opening their lunchboxes at noon and seeing my little love note in the form of a meticulously and adorably curated meal. They instead get that bland lunch tray and a spork and some stuff scooped out for them by a stranger in a hair net and I have to hope they ate at least enough of it to get them through the day. And that the food is actually healthy and not spoiled or tainted or ohmygosh I'm worrying too much.

But maybe, just maybe I'm doing them a little bit of good here. Letting them gain some independence even if it's in a foodie way. I haven't convinced myself of that yet though.

Are you a school lunch or home lunch mom? What made you to decide which way to go?

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:28 AM

both

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this
We are packers! We eat very healthy and are dairy, gluten and free of artifical dyes!
LadyAmaranth
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Mostly home lunch. Occasionally I let them have school lunch.

mommyofblueyes
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Home lunch.  My son is a very selective eater, and won't eat school lunch. 

bcoll
by Brandi on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

It generally is school lunch, but they always have the option.

Nunyabusiness
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM

She picks two days a week where she has lunch at school. Usually it's fridays when they have pizza.

She loves breakfast at school. Probably because I'm not much of a morning person and I usually give them cereal. But, she opts for breakfast at school most days. 

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Both. My daughter and I go over the menu every month and she decides when she wants to buy and when she wants to bring. And she makes her own lunch in the days she brings.
gcstar42
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM

For us it just depends on what my kids want that day. We look at the menu for the day and see if they want any of the options they are having that day. If they do not, then I pack their lunch. Most days I pack their lunch because they do not like most of the school food even when it is things they normally like at home.

Ginger0104
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM

School lunch.

bec94
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Depends on dd. right now she only wants cheese pizza or corndogs from school, so I pack lunch the majority of the time.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN