Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is 50/50 SPLIT custody a BAD idea for school aged child ?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 231 Replies
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM
2 moms liked this

I think so, and I doubt a judge would okay that unless they go to school one semester at one school and another at a different school but even that is disruptive. My ex and I have 50/50 custody but since our son started kindergarten this year, now my ex is the custodial parent since the good school is near him and we get my son two to three weekends a month plus most of the holidays breaks. We still have 50/50 legal custody but physical custody is different. Having a consistent education is important for school age children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM
4 moms liked this
That's sad.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

I think so, and I doubt a judge would okay that unless they go to school one semester at one school and another at a different school but even that is disruptive. My ex and I have 50/50 custody but since our son started kindergarten this year, now my ex is the custodial parent since the good school is near him and we get my son two to three weekends a month plus most of the holidays breaks. We still have 50/50 legal custody but physical custody is different. Having a consistent education is important for school age children.

mom2the.rescue
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:49 AM

It might work for the family, but some things are harder.  My ds's best friend does this.  One week, he's at his dad's about 5 minutes away.  The next week he's at his mom's, a half hour away.  She drives him and his siblings to his normal bus stop every day, but it makes after school activites and playdates hard.

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM
3 moms liked this

My friend and his ex have 50/50. Their daughter lives with each a week at a time. It works well for them and has for several years.

CafeMom Tickers
BAMFSFW
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM
8 moms liked this

I think it could work if the parents live close enough to stay in the same school, or one parent is willing to drive to the school during their time. 

smalltownmom03
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:50 AM
It could work if (and only if) both parents live in the same school district.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KGreen75
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

IMO, No.

When my dad was alive my little brothers would do one week with my dad and then one week with their mom.  Of course they lived in the same city and it was no problem getting them to school.

3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this

What is sad? Not having my son half the time? Yes, it is, but my husband and I live two hours away from my ex and the schools where we are are abysmal while the school out there is in the top three in the district and top twenty in the state. We made the decision for my son's benefit to get a good education. 

Quoting Anonymous:

That's sad.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

Proud2bamomma
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I know a family who does this. The 3 school aged kids live a week at a time with both parents. They both live in the same school district, allowing the girls to be in the same school all year.

ELKmountain.mom
by Peepers on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:52 AM
4 moms liked this

I always thought it sounds little a horrible plan. One week at moms, one at dads, weds switched. The kids would never feel settled, I told my Husband if we ever divorced. I want the kids at the house we own currently ( I would likely stay here as well, he said that) and he would find an apt very close by. He would be welcome anytime, they would be welcome there anytime but if they ended up staying here nightly it wouldn't be like he didn't see them. He would be welcome for dinner, all games, school pick up etc.. I am fine having 50/50 custody and but they need to feel safe, settled and as secure as possible with that big of a change.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN