Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

is common core really that bad?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 42 Replies
My cousin is losing her mind almost daily griping about common core standards. I have several friends who are teachers, several more who are friends to school aged kids and no one has flipped out quite like my cousin.

My kids are 3 & 5 months so enlighten me please :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:52 AM
...common core?
BonnieRay
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I personally don't think it's that bad but people around here are griping because their children are being held to a higher standard than in past years.

Eta: Apparently people don't think their kids are capable of doing better than the atrociously low standards our state used to have :-(
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I haven't read that much about it. There is a woman on the Happy Homeschoolers sight that gave a lot of info on it. From what she said is that it is going to make all school have the same curriculum and take the same tests. Some are unhappy because the standards may not be to what they are now. Also, she said something about it being more of a scripted teaching. Again, I haven't looked up much on it, but that's what she said and she seemed to know a lot about it.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:55 AM
I think its fine. Its just a set of skills students need to be working on at certain grade levels and benchmarks they need to meet and assess for. Most people are unhappy with common core have their issue with the curriculums which is chosen by the district. That or the tracking of progress electronically but my tin foil hat isn't tight enough for that to bother me.
liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:57 AM
From what I understand the whole point is to keep every school teaching the same thing at the same times right? I ran into this issue when I was in school because anytime my dad's as promoted or moved to another company we changed schools, which was a pain to have to catch up. She never experienced that. She went to public school until 2nd grade then was homeschooled.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katemckenzie
by Kate on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Idk what that even is.

quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:01 AM
Some of that stuff isn't true though. The schools can pick their curriculum. And no is forcing all the same test. Florida did away with FCAT and we just found out the test that was replacing it got thrown out too.

Quoting Anonymous:

I haven't read that much about it. There is a woman on the Happy Homeschoolers sight that gave a lot of info on it. From what she said is that it is going to make all school have the same curriculum and take the same tests. Some are unhappy because the standards may not be to what they are now. Also, she said something about it being more of a scripted teaching. Again, I haven't looked up much on it, but that's what she said and she seemed to know a lot about it.

erinj
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Our school was already teaching at a higher standard, so they have to figure out how to teach the common core AND a little more. We believe our kids can do way more than the minimum requirements. I don't like the idea of the schools teaching to test well on the standardized tests. I've never been a fan of the state wide testing...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:05 AM
I see it more with home school and especially unschool parents. Their "gifted" children are not the grade level they should be at come evaluation time. And honestly I think a lot of it is testing skills but taking a test is a skill people need to learn.

Quoting BonnieRay:

I personally don't think it's that bad but people around here are griping because their children are being held to a higher standard than in past years.

Eta: Apparently people don't think their kids are capable of doing better than the atrociously low standards our state used to have :-(

liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:07 AM
I wonder if that's my cousin's issue. Her kids aren't homeschooled but she was, and unfortunately it was a disservice to her (not saying homeschool is bad, but her mom was ill equipped to teach) and so she's having trouble helping her kids with their assignments. From what little I understand it, it seems like a good thing to me. Maybe a bit bumpy right now, but all new things take time.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I see it more with home school and especially unschool parents. Their "gifted" children are not the grade level they should be at come evaluation time. And honestly I think a lot of it is testing skills but taking a test is a skill people need to learn.

Quoting BonnieRay:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN