Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Social Security checks may not go out NOVEMBER or after.

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 293 Replies
3 moms liked this
Is the shutdown affecting your life yet? It seems day by day more and more people are being affected. My dad depends on his social security checks and now that too Is being threatened. I've known people who have been greatly affected by the shutdown since day one, but this is the first of it that directly affects my family. How have you been affected? Will you not be getting a social security check?

ETA for those who don't believe it:

CHICAGO (Reuters) - President Barack Obama warned last week that Social Security benefits might not go out "on time" if Congress does not raise the debt ceiling.
Should seniors and disabled American really be worried about their benefits if the U.S. government runs out of borrowing capacity later this month?

The answer is yes - but only if the Obama administration insists on making Social Security a pawn in the debt ceiling battle. And that's a move it has no business making.

Social Security is a stand-alone program with its own dedicated revenue stream: Workers and employers pay a combined 12.4 percent of employees' payroll. It was designed to be a "pay as you go" program, with taxes on today's workers funding current payouts to retired and disabled workers and their dependents. Those funds can't be used for anything other than benefits.

Social Security currently has a surplus of $2.7 trillion. This year it is on track to take in $38.8 billion more in revenue than it will pay out, according to the forecast of the program's trustees. These funds sit in something called the Social Security Trust Fund (SSTF).

While SSTF funds can be used only for Social Security, the fund operates in a way that could leave it vulnerable in the event of a government default.
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this
No, it's not. I feel for those who are having hard times because of it:(
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM

bump

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:20 AM
No, it hasn't directly impacted my life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ashley1113
by Ley on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM
He'll get it. My mom got my's brother's checks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM
3 moms liked this
Where did you hear this? As far as I know, all entitlements, except for wic and veterans benefits, will not be affected.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM

That stinks, and so far not yet. I am sure by November it will in some way or another.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Show the article where it's states SS is threatened,  everything I have read so far says it's in no danger.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I'm getting mine, at least this month.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM
My grandparents both get social security but they thankfully don't depend on it to survive so they will be ok.

So far it hasn't affected me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM
I heard about it thismorning on the news...

Quoting Anonymous:

Show the article where it's states SS is threatened,  everything I have read so far says it's in no danger.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured