Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What, if anything, have you ever taken from hotel rooms?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 255 Replies

Greedy Newlyweds Steal WAY More Than Shampoo From Their Hotel Room

by Rebecca Stokes

wedding cuffsThis newlywed couple took the popular idiom, "make yourself at home," way too literally. Laura and Christopher Barnett went to stay at a five-star hotel to celebrate Christopher's birthday. Over the course of their visit, they stole everything that wasn't nailed down from the room -- and something that was too, the TV! 

They were caught eventually by their own greed. They were literally one foot out the door when they decided to argue about a pay-per-view charge on their bill. Talk about getting cocky! They claimed the charge had to be wrong -- since there was no TV in their room. That takes a special sort of confidence. By which I mean stupidity.

Every single person on the planet who has stayed at a hotel has taken something home with them. I'm not accusing the world at large of kleptomania. I'm just saying that, for the most part, when presented with free lotion of a fair-to-middling quality, few folks are going to turn that down.

While there are definitely acceptable freebies in your hotel room, don't assume everything is yours for the taking. Make sure you're not one of the 35 percent of travelers who happily cop to stealing items from hotel rooms. Stick to stuff you're expected to take. This includes soap, shampoo, tissue, pens, and stationary.

Keep your hands in your pockets when considering taking objects like sheets, towels, robes, lamps, or other electronics. You'd think this wouldn't need mentioning. But apparently that's not the case. For their theft, Chris Barnett is in jail for 16 weeks and Laura has a year of community service.

What do you take from hotel rooms?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I take what I'm allowed....shampoos and conditioners and the like. Nothing of value that you're not supposed to take.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Pens and lotion. 

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

My exhusband used to steal the towels. It drove me nuts! I almost wished they would have charged our card to teach him a lesson. 

Photo: -Randi.

SiriSilasMom
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

WTF were they thinking? Pure trash.

notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM

just the toiletries

kysmama08
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Pens, notepad and lotions. Nothing of real value

imakehimscream
by He screams on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Just the shampoo. Once dh took one of the small towels.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM
If I find a particulary nice pen, I'll take it. Some pens just make your handwriting look nicer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I only take the shampoo/lotion/etc if I opened them.

Probably pens end up with me most often, because I always put a pen from my hand into my ponytail, regardless of where that pen belongs. At the end of the day I might have two or three pens in my hair.

CelestialSong
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Toiletries, the little soaps and shampoos and lotions and stuff. And only from the really nice hotel we stayed at when we got married, because it was really nice soap and lotion. I don't get why people steal things that obviously are not there for you to help yourself to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN