Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

First world dilimma! Looking for some autumn plates

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 7 Replies

I have real dishes I use for family dinners but I am searching for some autumnal ones that go in the dish display over the holiday display. I have a rough hewen trug filled with silk autumn fruits and colored leaves. I want gold, red, dark red, brown dishes (dishes only) to make a pretty sideboard showcase on the far side of the kitchen. No Halloween stuff or even patterned Thankgiving-day things. Just fall colors to give the kitchen a pop!

I have the appropriate dish towels and appropriate glass wear but for the life of me, I cannot find just plain fall colored plates. Do they exist and where might I fight them? I'm having several holiday get togethers and then a traditional Thanksgiving the day before because I always have a big outdoor Thanksgiving pot luck for all of the neighbors at our vacation spot. We have a wrap around patio and the neighbors next door have the same, so we hare ample to feed about 400 people.

Those who can afford to contribute are welcome as well as those who are not. With prices going up, I don't want anyone to be sitting in their little tv room, all alone.We've know these people since I was a child and now it is my turn to be the old lady who arranges the party.I know I can use paper plates and paper cups and plastic utensils but I just want the people who do come to feel as if they are valued and important enough to have dishes washed for them. So any idea where the fall real dishes can be located (it is important to me to decorate and set a festive party so no one feels less than, if you can understand how important this is for me) I sound like such a snit reading over this, but I do want it to be nice or bespoke who are not on the top of their game. They are dear sweet people and I don't want them to feel less than. (FYI, our teens serve here and then go to the local homeless thanksgiving meal.) IN the last 70 years, I've been on top and on bottom and it always makes me feel as if the spot I occupy is not as important as the friends who remain so.

So back to the autumn colored plates. Any ideas? (And we do all of our own cooking and baking and there are members of this little group from all over the world. I don't want anyone left out because of race, religion, creed or native dress. This is a joyous celebration for all of us. Those who are too frail to attend have trays delivered by teens, because one day, they won't be doing flips at the big game. They too will get old, infirm and stoved up. My mother started this tradition and i think it has kept our friends together, cohesive and our teens grounded. (Surprise of surprises, they find they enjoy the same books and like looking at old, velvet covered scrapbooks, just as we did. Okay, I was forced but developed a taste for it. We have found that we are so much more alive than not.

I didn't mean to drift off from the original point, but this is one of several traditions that we all enjoy---Christmas of course, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor day, Easter and then the most recent 9/11. We have our own wooden wall with names of those lost in all the wars since the Revolutional War to the most recent. Those neighbors we love, we do love.

Sorry to go on and on. We aren't better than anyone else. We just have a pretty strong sense of family.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bebcarroll
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

What about Fiesta ware?  Comes in a range of nice solid colors and you can buy one plate at a time, so you know you don't have to buy a while set to get what you want.

http://www.fiestafactorydirect.com/c-79-dinner-plate.aspx?pid=213

smorgan865
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

TJ Maxx, Marshalls, HomeGoods would be where I'd start for things like this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM
I'm so confused.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:01 AM

What part are you confused about? The dishes? The neighborhood celebration? The kindness they extend to one another? The pleasure they take in a long term celebration? What?

If I can help I will, but you need to give me at least a GUESS as to what you are confused about.

Mommy383
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Dollar tree. You can order as many as you need.Each plate is only $1 and they hold up well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
This. They have a lot of nice ones right now. My dollar tree dishes are still holding up, after over a year and 3 kids, plus their friends. (Kids are 6 and under)

Quoting Mommy383:

Dollar tree. You can order as many as you need.Each plate is only $1 and they hold up well.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Thank you so much! For some reason, I just got stuck on this :)  I really am looking forward to this annual hooley

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)