Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A lot if heroin addicts are normal functioning members of society.

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this
So I learned in class today a lot of what we think we know about heroin is wrong.
When you think of a heroin addict you probably think of a very skinny person with needle marks down their arm, most which are scabbed over and some or most may even be infected. You may also think they have bad teeth etc.
What you may not know is none of that is an effect of the drug. Most of it comes from being poor, not having clean needles, not knowing how to properly inject oneself, not having proper hygiene, spending all the money on drugs, living outside in cold weather, not eating etc.
However, there are many functioning heroin addicts who have money and life a normal life. One example my teacher gave was a doctor friend he knew. He was head of his department, had 3 daughters, coached soccer, helped out with charity events yet shot himself up with heroine 3 times a day. He was completely normal acting, very happy and everyone was completely shocked to find out.
Most heroin addicts are homeless just due to the nature of the drug. Most people do not like heroin. That is due to the fact that it really only has an effect on people with mental and or physical pain.
Just thought I would share, I found it interesting. My teacher called it the two effects of drugs, pharmaceutical effect and societal effect.

Eta: my main point, the thing I found most interesting, Is that most people associate a heroin addict as a haggered looking person with a sunken in face and scabs everywhere. Most people assosiate it as a drug effect when it is not, it's a condition of how they are living. The drugs do play a part, as in they do cause the infected injection sites but again it's improper use and improper needles which comes from living condition. They are also more likely to buy drugs instead of food.
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angelanscalf89
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:51 AM
My dad is a heroin addict and for years no one knew.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyVoldemort
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM
My cousin is a heroin addict. She goes around bragging about her tracks. This probably isn't the norm but I don't care. She's not welcome around me anymore. Not because she's a heroin addict, but because she has no sense of personal responsibility.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM
You have your heroine and heroin mixed up. Without an e is a drug with an e is a female hero
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Yea this man did end up getting clean but he was still functioning well. A lot if people aren't like that though.

Quoting LadyVoldemort:

My cousin is a heroin addict. She goes around bragging about her tracks. This probably isn't the norm but I don't care. She's not welcome around me anymore. Not because she's a heroin addict, but because she has no sense of personal responsibility.
susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

First off, it's"  heroin," not "heroine." Secondly, as soon as anyone starts talking for other people, stating what they think or do or believe, I turn off. You can't possibly know what "most HEROIN addicts think or why they got hooked or anything else about them.  Everyone is different. Everyone's lives are different, and everyone's genetic makeup is different.

thejodigirl
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I completely understand why many are not known. So many started out for pain or recreation and still have to use just to not get "sick." Very sad.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Thank you, I just let my phone correct me because I didn't know how to spell it. Turns out I was right and my phone was wrong lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

You have your heroine and heroin mixed up. Without an e is a drug with an e is a female hero
ShortMommytobe
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:59 AM

i would fix my title. Just sayin' 

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:00 AM
I specifically used the word "a lot" and not "most" the only thing I said was "most heroine addicts are homeless" because that's what studies are showing. If course that may be wrong as people are less likely to admit drug use when they have a stable job.

Quoting susannah2000:

First off, it's"  heroin," not "heroine." Secondly, as soon as anyone starts talking for other people, stating what they think or do or believe, I turn off. You can't possibly know what "most HEROIN addicts think or why they got hooked or anything else about them.  Everyone is different. Everyone's lives are different, and everyone's genetic makeup is different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:02 AM
I was a functioning one for a while... had a supervisor job and everything. The physical withdrawal is HORRIBLE but the mental can last much longer... months. I'm better now, I walked away from it. But yeah, you sometimes can't tell..
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)