Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you require homework to be done right after school??

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:03 AM
  • 92 Replies
2 moms liked this
In my house I always have it worked fine for everyone except for my 7 year old. For her homework has always been a struggle and it usually lasted right up until dinner time which was usually late because I spent so much time fighting with her. Last week school got out at 12 all week for "personalized learning plan meetings" so when the kids got home I made the. Lunch let them play a bit and then started on homework. My 7 year old did wonderfully I was shocked.

So today we did an experiment. After school I let her have her afternoon. Everyone else came in and did their homework my 5year old just because she can't wait and the other kids because they wanted computer time.

My 7 year old asked to go out side so I told her sure go have fun. she played on the swings and in the dirt and with the dogs and when the other kids finished homework they went out to play with her too. I called everyone in for dinner at 530 (woot on time and everything!) after dinner we had baths and did some reading and at 630 I sat her down and had her do her spelling and math. It was done in 15 minuets then we did her 15 minuets of math practice and she was done and still had time to watch some tv before bed time at 8.
Maybe today was a fluke but I'm going to try again tomorrow and see how it goes!
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
surromama
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:07 AM
No, I let them have a break after school. Its done after dinner. Its like this for all, 17, 15 and 7.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shymomof4
by Kristyn on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM
3 moms liked this

I let them come home and have a snack and chill out for about an hour or so.  Then it's homework time.  It works out pretty well. 

PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Last year I had them do their homework after a couple of hours of relax time. This year I did the same, started off that way, but now I have been making them do it as soon as they get home.

It's been working a LOT better considering it's roughly 40 minutes of homework and a lot of times they have already started it on the bus before coming home.

I find that it helps a lot. By 7 o'clock they are already getting tired & crabby...not exactly the best time to start their homework. 

yo_ho
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:10 AM

My oldest whines and cries about homework. So we have a deal, do your hw without whining and you can play the next day. Works most days.

EmmasMom0305
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:11 AM
My daughter is the opposite. She can't even have a snack first or it takes her hours. If she does it as soon as she walks through the door she's done in about 15 minutes.
happymia
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:12 AM
That's so awesome!! I hate homework fights. Ever since my oldest started school ( he's now in highschool) they've come home, grabbed a snack, and did homework. I do it with all four of them. They've never known ant different, so it's not a big deal to them. Now my nine year old ds struggles with his work, so we do work for ten minutes, then ten minute break, then work for ten, and so on.
QueenBof6
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM
I make them a snack and then they start. Chores are done after.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM
There is a break when they are out of school. It's a couple hour, then There's dinner and maybe 30 min after that.
averiensmommy07
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:17 AM
Homework is to be done before my son does anything else. Usually takes him 10-15 min. The rest of the day is his after that.
Jeepingmama
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:17 AM

As soon as we get home my dd goes straight to the kitchen table or her desk to do homework.  Then she gets her snack after she's finished.  It's been her routine for kindergarten and now first grade.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN