Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you let your children swear?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:08 AM
  • 52 Replies

Had a big arguement with my MIL today, who wants to be controlling, and hates the way we bring up our kids. We swear alot around the house, the usual words fuck, shit, cunt and so on, and really think nothing of it. To us they are just words and no big deal - obviously our two children have picked up these words and use them.

And they obviously hear and use them at school and preschool.

I really dont think I should feel 'guilty' for either using them, or letting our children use them. I dont buy into the bullshit of 'adult' words and children words - that is just too confusing for children.

Would be interested in what other mums think. I really think there are far more important issues to think about and have told the MIL that!

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
zeenah
by Zarah on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't allow swearing. I'm old school though, my mom to this day would smack me across the face if I swore in front of her. I don't think swearing is cute or funny. I don't think it confuses them there's plenty of things child can't do that adults can. 

"If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change."

imandia4
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:14 AM

It should never be direct at anyone. My daughter is allowed one swear word a day. She doesn't use it. It can't be the f word or asshole. Or anything directed at anyone. She doesn't swear lol.

RoseWildflower
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:18 AM
1 mom liked this
You're nuts. Sounds like you are straight up trash. Who in their right mind lets their small children swear. Way to go... Good job on teaching them about class and respect. They will grow up to be.. nothing and nobodys. Nobody likes a filthy mouth, not the least bit cute or attractive, not even for an adult let alone a young child... Also, you sound uneducated... Must not have a descent job. Keep doing what you're doing, they will end up just like you ;)
want10more
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:20 AM

keep the swear words to yourself. it may be normal at home, but they'll get in tr ouble for it at school. so....... why? to what end? why would you teach your kids to get in trouble at school?

confusing for kids? no. not in the least. i've popped off a swear word, and my kids will jump in and say, MOM! YOU SAID A BAD WORD! and i reply oh sorry sorry! they know the difference. they know that certain words are just not nice.

if you want to say fuck and cunt in front of your kids, teach them to use those words, then i guess they get to say NI%*ER too. is THAT ok w/ you? personally? i'd drop kick one of MY kids if they spoke that way.

i teach my children to be respectful. to speak well and nicely. they may hear those words at school, but at least my children will be taught to be too polite (and intelligent!) to use them. so sad you don't require more of your children. they'll only reach to the planes you set for them, MY plane is set high for my kids. meaning they have good manners, and have the inherent good grace to be able to speak correctly .

sahmommyoftwo
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:21 AM
1 mom liked this

You see no probelm with your PRESCHOOLER cussing??? Really? What kind of parenting are you doing??

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:25 AM
1 mom liked this
You're MIL is right. It's not confusing for them your small brained and confused.
want10more
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:25 AM

legal adult at 18? drinking at 21? you are not wrong. (tho i do think that going to war at only 18 is freaky) swearing is neither cute nor funny. it shows a lack of parental leadership. MY kids are able to speak correctly and respectfully. i'd not smack em, maybe, but oh, depending on the word? could very well lead to a shitstorm w/ me and their daddy! i guess i am as old school as you are......... and i am not ashamed a bit either!

Quoting zeenah:

I don't allow swearing. I'm old school though, my mom to this day would smack me across the face if I swore in front of her. I don't think swearing is cute or funny. I don't think it confuses them there's plenty of things child can't do that adults can. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:26 AM
My kids don't talk...but i can't say i will go crazy about it. I cuss pretty bad sometimes. But i expect it to not be show at school or out in public. At home is one thing. I don't cuss in front of people in public either.
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:27 AM
1 mom liked this
No, and I don't.find it cute when kids use curse words
zeenah
by Zarah on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:28 AM

I wouldn't smack my dd either. Raising kids is about teaching right and wrong. What that can and can't do. There should be no confusion when done effectively. Don't be ashamed! Lol

Quoting want10more:

legal adult at 18? drinking at 21? you are not wrong. (tho i do think that going to war at only 18 is freaky) swearing is neither cute nor funny. it shows a lack of parental leadership. MY kids are able to speak correctly and respectfully. i'd not smack em, maybe, but oh, depending on the word? could very well lead to a shitstorm w/ me and their daddy! i guess i am as old school as you are......... and i am not ashamed a bit either!

Quoting zeenah:

"If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN