Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

SHOULD ADOPTIVE PARENTS?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:16 AM
  • 147 Replies

Ok so I just recently learned that if you are a foster parent or if you adopt a child through social services that you automatically get government aid. My question is should they? I mean really... why would you take on an extra mouth to feed if you are going to need help feeding it. I understand helping foster parents a little more then adoptive parents. maybe I am wrong... what are you guys views... are any of you adoptive parents...

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TableforSeven
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:22 AM
1 mom liked this

My brother and I were both adopted.  Our parents got no governmental aid.  But we were not adopted through social services.

Both of my brother's kids are adopted also.  They don't get any aid. Both were international adoptions, but I know they had to have home visits before either adoption was final....again, not adoptions from "within the system" but they did have to go through the system to make everything final/legal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I always thought adoptive parents shouldn't be rich by any means but able to be self-sufficient enough to support the child they adopt. Maybe that government aid should be put into a college fund for that child. As for foster parents, we've heard of stories of how they collect kids for the money and the children still suffer. I think this system needs to be revised so that these kids are not used for government aid and fall through the cracks.

disneymom2two
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:28 AM
International adoptions don't qualify for aid simply based on the children being adopted. Our daughter was adopted internationally. Now if the child had an issue that qualified the child for something such as ssi, that would be different because its based on the need and not the actual adoption.

Quoting TableforSeven:

My brother and I were both adopted.  Our parents got no governmental aid.  But we were not adopted through social services.

Both of my brother's kids are adopted also.  They don't get any aid. Both were international adoptions, but I know they had to have home visits before either adoption was final....again, not adoptions from "within the system" but they did have to go through the system to make everything final/legal.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:34 AM
3 moms liked this

Foster kids yes they should get a stipen, I don't think you would get very many families to do it if they had to provide all financial responsibility of the kids.    But the adoption, DH and I have discussed this over and over.  (BTW most of them stay on medicaid too).  I don't know if it's all states, but in our state the only way pays the state stipen is if the child was put up for adoption over the age of 2 or is with a sibling group.  (You can't adopt an infant from the system and then get a check for the next 18 years).  At 2 or older a lot of these kids have major issues because of what they've been going through.  A family is offering to take this child but they didn't put this child through whatever they've been though, so part of me says yes they should get a stipen.  My brother was adopted out of foster care at age 4 in the 70s (they did not get a stipen back then) and he had major emotional issues and required lots and lots of therapy.  My parents had to pay for that therapy themselves.  I don't think you would have as many people adopt out of foster care if they had to foot the bill for a child they didn't screw up. 

matofour
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM
1 mom liked this
You only receive money from the government if you adopt through foster care.
And many times, that money is used for therapy and such. Remember kids from foster care usually are older, and have been abused in some way.
melly_v88
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:35 AM

this is my story as well.

Quoting TableforSeven:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:36 AM
These are foster children and children adopted from foster care. Most don't get much in aid. The children normally receive Medicaid for medical as a foster child because the guardian can't put them on their medical insurance and they receive money every month to help support the child. This only happens in cases where the foster parent is not a blood relative, in most states.
wissotamum
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:38 AM
I'm wondering about the details of your information. What money do they specifically get? I heard there is some assistance with lowering the cost of adoption for hard to place kids. I think their might be some programs for lower middle income families to offset the cost of adoption. There might be some ongoing money for kids who receive ssi to assist with their specific medical needs.
Can you be more specific which program your asking about?
KJH_KMH_MOM
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:43 AM

I didnt know about the two year old part of it. I know I was in foster care and my foster parents were rich but they still got help for me. My God mother is also a foster parent, but I never knew anything about the funding until recently. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Foster kids yes they should get a stipen, I don't think you would get very many families to do it if they had to provide all financial responsibility of the kids.    But the adoption, DH and I have discussed this over and over.  (BTW most of them stay on medicaid too).  I don't know if it's all states, but in our state the only way pays the state stipen is if the child was put up for adoption over the age of 2 or is with a sibling group.  (You can't adopt an infant from the system and then get a check for the next 18 years).  At 2 or older a lot of these kids have major issues because of what they've been going through.  A family is offering to take this child but they didn't put this child through whatever they've been though, so part of me says yes they should get a stipen.  My brother was adopted out of foster care at age 4 in the 70s (they did not get a stipen back then) and he had major emotional issues and required lots and lots of therapy.  My parents had to pay for that therapy themselves.  I don't think you would have as many people adopt out of foster care if they had to foot the bill for a child they didn't screw up. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:47 AM

I think the programs are out there to encourage people to "save" needy children. In the state of MO you also receive free child care until the child is school age (or so I was once told).  I think it's a double edge sword. While I do think it encourages people to help needy children, I think it also attracts  dishonest people who will not use the money for the children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN