Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breaking a lease...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

We moved here in June after my DH was offered a job at a well known company. When we got here, the job that was offered was suddenly no longer available. Instead they offered dh a different  job at a lower wage than what we were expecting. We had already signed a lease on a house based on our projected wages. Now we are struggling to stay afloat. We spent our savings to get here. Dh decided that the bait and switch that he received was a crappy place to work and got a different job in the area. The thing is that he was told last week that he was not a good fit for them. He wasn't fired, but he is still on the probationary period and they can fire him for any reason at any time. 

Dh's previous employer from before we moved here wants him to come back. We are barely making it here and winter hasn't come yet, but our heating bill will triple when it does. We are considering breaking our lease to move back. I know it isn't the most ethical thing to do, but if we are floundering now, I don't think we will make it over the winter. I can't stand the idea of being homeless in the winter. I don't know what to do.  

Also I am working, but I don't make near enough to cover the lease if he isn't working. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2Sparrows4ever
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Best of luck!
zoegirlsmom
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM

Talk to your landlord, many times if you'll pay for them to advertise and for the credit check on new tenants they will release you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:20 AM

It's best to discuss it with the landlord.  If you don't come to some kind of agreement and just move,  you could be sued for thousands.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM
How far away did you move? I know people who drive 1-2hrs to work everyday, obviously if you moved farther than that, than that's not an option. If you break a lease you will be sued for the entire amount of the lease, FYI. Its a contract. If you break it you will still have to pay, so just consider that before you do anything
blondieinva80
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Honestly,I would break it. If you are struggling that bad already,go back to where you were before and have him take his old job back.
lisabiron3
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:24 AM

As a property manager myself I can tell you that I would 1st ask the former employer if they can pay the lease termination fee's. Is that a possibility? also when would you be moving?

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:25 AM
If I were your landlord, I'd allow you out of the lease as long as a new tenant could be found with no gap. Taking your situation into consideration means realizing you're likely to be unable to pay your rent.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Are you renting an apartment or a home?

Talk with your landlord and explain the situation and hope they work with you. If they don't is still break the lease and move.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM

We are going to talk to her tonight. We want her to at least know what's going on, but we can't go much longer than next month and then we are not going to make enough. We have sold several things to make sure we have food. 

Quoting Anonymous:

It's best to discuss it with the landlord.  If you don't come to some kind of agreement and just move,  you could be sued for thousands.

.PinkHart.
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Many landlords allow you out of the lease if a new tenant is found to move in right behind you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)