Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I left my sick kid home alone

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

Sort of.  We live on base and I work on base.  I have three meetings this morning.  I told my neighbor who is a SAHM.  We live in a duplex.  I work two minutes away walking...  She has her phone and can bang on the neighbors wall if she needs anything.  She is 11.  I will also check on her between meetings.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:47 AM
I think that sounds alright. I was staying home alone at the age of 9.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if it's legal, but she will probably be alright.

Amy_M
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM

My mom used to leave us home alone when we were sick..I HATED it.  I already didn't feel good and hated being left alone when I was sick.  Hopefully your daughter doesn't feel so bad about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Around here 11 is old enough.  Honestly, when my son is 11 if I'm working he'll just have to be home alone.  I mean, unless it's hospital worthy I don't see why he can't be alone with his video games and plenty of soup in the fridge to microwave.

Considering when my kids are sick they it's usually a respiratory thing and not vomitting, he'll be fine.

lazycamper
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:50 AM
I was baby sitting at eleven. Lol How times have changed. I think it is OK, mama. You are close, she has your neighbor.. It takes a village, sometimes... Good luck and I hope she feels better, soon!
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I LOVED being left alone while sick.  My SM would cook up some soup the night before for me to heat up as needed.  It was so much easier taking care of myself and having it be nice and quiet in the house.  

Then again, I was 1 of 5 chidren, so I suppose that day of quiet was a pretty rare thing.  If SM stayed home with me, she'd have 2 toddlers with her and I wouldn't get any extra rest!

Quoting Amy_M:

My mom used to leave us home alone when we were sick..I HATED it.  I already didn't feel good and hated being left alone when I was sick.  Hopefully your daughter doesn't feel so bad about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM

She's 11, not five. Yeah, that's ok.

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM

As long as she isn't really ill, I don't see an issue when they child is almost a teenager.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:51 AM

I explained that I had to be at work for several meetings but would come check on her in between.  Honestly she will probably sleep until 10-11.  I will go home at lunch and feed her.  Then check on her again in the afternoon. I am off at 3:30. 

Quoting Amy_M:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:52 AM
On post they can stay home alone at the age of 11.

Why did you feel the need to post this when nothing is being done wrong?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)