Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SD whines instead of talking...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
She's 3, and she will scream until we gets what she wants, but never tells me what it is. She speaks just fine any other time, she's actually quite intelligent. I've gotten to the point where I don't want to deal with her. If she were mine, I wouldn't give her anything unless she asked or at least told me. Advice?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd do just exactly what you said you'd do if she were yours. My kids were never given something if they whined to get it. Why would that be so terrible here? Oh yeah...she's a stepchild. Cater to her or be executed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kgsharber
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Agree. Dont give in to that kind of behavior. Mom and Dad need to step up and dicispline for that non-sense too.

jessi2girls
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM

ask her to use her big girl voice so you can understand, or you won't be able to help her.

If she doesn't stop, put her in a quiet spot (a place she has to sit in and calm down and quiet down for about 3 minutes).   

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:30 AM
It's driving me crazy. I know it will pass eventually but how much longer will I have to listen to it? DH agrees it's annoying but doesn't know what to do and doesn't want his daughter to suffer if she's hungry or thirsty. But I don't know!

Quoting Nicoleb9:

I'd do just exactly what you said you'd do if she were yours. My kids were never given something if they whined to get it. Why would that be so terrible here? Oh yeah...she's a stepchild. Cater to her or be executed.

Laura1427
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

My kids went through this phase too.

I simply reply "I'm sorry, I don't understand whining". Occasionally I will throw in a "Im sorry, I don't understand whining. You need to use big kid words so I can understand you."

Being consistent with that really helped. You do have to stick with it, and you can't let them know that you actually understand them. The first time you give in to the whining, they will know you are full of it. lol.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM
I do that. And she screams. Sometimes she does just forget whatever it was she was wanting in the first place though.

Quoting jessi2girls:

ask her to use her big girl voice so you can understand, or you won't be able to help her.

If she doesn't stop, put her in a quiet spot (a place she has to sit in and calm down and quiet down for about 3 minutes).   

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Stop it quick!!!!!!!!!
I hate whiney kids

Reminds me of Cailou or however you spell his name
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

My son is almost 3 and started the same thing. I send him to his room until he can calm down and tell me what he wants. Usually within 5 seconds he is back with a smile on his face and will say what he wants.

smorgan865
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:31 AM

My 4 y/o is a whiner and it drives me crazy. I'm constantly telling him to ask me with words because I can't hear him when he's whining.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Where is your DH during all of this? He should be the one taking care of her

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)