Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I do it for the money, even though I know its wrong

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 11 Replies

Mobile Photo

I know it is wrong to shave double coated dogs, but I do it anyway. I always explain to clients why they shouldn't do it and offset other solutions, but if they want their dog shaved I still will do it. Their dog, their choice. I always feel bad about it though.

Spare the grooming critique, this dog isn't finished yet.
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crescentstar2
by expecto patronum on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:06 AM

could be a lot worse, at least you aren't robbing a bank

rosewind13
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:07 AM

In Arizona shaving a double coated dog was almost a necessity. They were beyond miserable if you didn't... I've never heard you aren't supposed to.

mandaschelle
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Growing up my Samoyed's would get shaved in the summer. Even though they were indoor dogs they would get too hot otherwise.
I grew up in Miami Fl.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Sometimes it just has to happen.  I have a Newfoundland and MIL has a black lab puppy.  He wouldn't stop chewing on my Newfie's neck, and by the end of MIL's visit my dog had a thick mat all the way around her collar.  The hair and saliva basically created a putty that wouldn't come out.  She started to get skin infections because the matted hair wouldn't dry, and while I spent a few hours a day trying to gently work it all loose, I couldn't get it done fast enough.  So...clippers away!

But that said, it sucks.  You can't educate some people, and it's better you do it then them resorting to doing it at home or going to some hack job place.  Hopefully eventually your words of wisdom sink in.  If not, at least you take care not to cut or nick at them.  When I had to shave my Newfie's neck, I did try to leave as much fuzz as possible.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:22 AM
That's not true. A dogs coat protects it from the heat and sun. To keep them most comfortable you need to brush ot the undercoat regularly.

Quoting rosewind13:

In Arizona shaving a double coated dog was almost a necessity. They were beyond miserable if you didn't... I've never heard you aren't supposed to.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Very true :)

Quoting crescentstar2:

could be a lot worse, at least you aren't robbing a bank

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Finished photo for anyone that cares lol
rosewind13
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I remember brushing and brushing our dog and he still was miserable. We shaved him and he felt a lot better. That was while we lived with my grandpa in Phoenix, though, and he had to be outside all the time. It was between 110 and 126 all summer that year.

Quoting LoriLou75:

That's not true. A dogs coat protects it from the heat and sun. To keep them most comfortable you need to brush ot the undercoat regularly.

Quoting rosewind13:

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM
No dog should be outside all the time, especially in extreme conditions. IMO, that's abusive.

Quoting rosewind13:

I remember brushing and brushing our dog and he still was miserable. We shaved him and he felt a lot better. That was while we lived with my grandpa in Phoenix, though, and he had to be outside all the time. It was between 110 and 126 all summer that year.

Quoting LoriLou75:

Quoting rosewind13:

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Omg, this dog is still at my shop! Its been ready to leave for over an hour now! I hate when people leave their pets here so long. It is whimpering and annoying the shit out of me.

Just wanted to vent that lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)