Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM
  • 45 Replies

Poll

Question: Is asking people to get the pertussis vaccine before they are around your newborn a reasonable request.

Options:

Yes, it is very reasonable

No, unreasonable

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 47

View Results

I have seen several posts about moms asking people who will be around their new babies to get this vaccine, if they haven't already gotten it. Some people say it's crazy or unreasonable but really, is it?

I have asked everyone who is going to be around my new baby (due in March) to get it.The vaccine is TDap and it protects against Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis.This will be my 3ird child and I wanted to do this with my second (with my first I was 18 and didn't have a clue about this kind of thing) but I didn't want people to think I was being demanding or crazy or something, guess what, my son got it and spent a couple days in the hospital at only about 4 weeks old.

So with this baby, I feel like I should put my foot down. DH doesn't care, he has already had the vaccine anyway. Just about everyone in my family has gotten the vaccine anyway but I am sure that my DH'S family will say I am being crazy and controlling (they got mad when I asked them to wash their hands before holding my son when he was a newborn).

I know that it's not 100% but neither is hand washing and staying at home for the first 6 weeks but most of us do that. I feel like anything that can be done to protect baby, should be done.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmykidsJC
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM

BUMP!

Heisenberg
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I can't say whether it's reasonable or not. For those that believe it works I can see why they would feel that way. I personally wouldn't get the vaccine.

hip2it
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I feel it's a reasonable request in an attempt to protect your child. You have every right to decline and stay home. 

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:12 AM

I don't allow people around my kids as infants unless they have been vaccinated. I'm not willing to risk my childs life over not annoying people. I'd rather be the "crazy" mom with the living kid than the cool mom with the dead one.

firespurity
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM
Why are you posting the same thing again? Word for word?
redneckmama4
by Loree on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Unreasonable
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM
I don't like to push people to get something they don't want. Washing hands and not coming over while sick is enough for me. I did how ever get the shot myself after my son was born five years ago and so did my husband since he was traveling a lot and we were around our son most often. But I wouldn't ask my family and friends to get it
NorseGodessMom
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I got it in the Hostpital after Owl was born, but only me. I would never demand that of anyone.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM

I think it's reasonable, I just don't see what people plan to do to prove they've had it.  My husband and I got the adult vaccine and my kids are up to date, would just someone's word be enough?

cfcf
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I got the vaccine and so did my family and dh family.

I don't care if its not 100% effective. Some protection is better than none IMO.

If someone was against it I would respect their beliefs and expect them to respect my babies space until she was vaccinated. Plain and simple.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)