Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm sorry you have to work on your kids birthday but I'm not budging!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Taking off is on a first come, first serve basis at my work. On the 20th of September I submitted my request to take the 18th through the 20th off(of October). The reason being that I have a road trip planned to see my best friend who moved 5 hours away.

This other girl submitted a request off for the 19th of October because it's her dd's first birthday.

Her request is going to get denied because both of us can't take a weekend day off. We have limited amount of weekend workers and due to our experience level, one of us has to be here.

I've had several people tell me I should take back my request because her reason is more important. I get that I would be upset if I had work on the day I planned to throw my kid her first birthday but shit happens. That's why I'm in college to get a job that doesn't require me to work these type of hours.

Everyone is saying I can go the next weekend but no I'm not doing that. We already have tons of activities lined up like going to certain festivals and concerts that won't be around the next weekend. I put my request in fair and square.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (11-20):
2kids2dogs2cats
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I worked on my kid's first birthday, big deal is isn't like the kid even knows that is her birthday?  I mean she could have the party after work, or whatever.  First come first serve, now I would think you were being selfish if her daughter was getting MARRIED that day, but that is a few years away, lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
2 moms liked this
Exactly. I know someone who told their 2 year old they're birthday was a day earlier than it was because they would be on a plane ride the actual day of her birthday lol

Quoting WifeyC:

It's the first birthday.  The kid won't remember if the celebration didn't happen on her birthday.

mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I'm with you. 

My husband put in the days he wanted off in January... and his company is lax about those things. He can work from home, etc. She had an ENTIRE YEAR to request the date off. It's not your fault she isn't responsible or didn't care enough to be there for her child.  

EmilysMom2010
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I don't blame you. It doesn't matter the reason. And it's none of anyone's business.
If you got the days off just to sit on your ass I still wouldn't budge. Lol
Superlaura328
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I agree with you. Yeah, it sucks for her, but it is what it is. She should have taken the time off earlier. 

MommyKir
by Kay on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM

um ok so its her kids birthday, why cant she have a party on sunday the day after so she doesnt have to request off? And why should you have to cancel your plans because she didn't plan a bit more and ask off a month in advance. Who plans a  party for their kid not knowing if they wll have off that day or not. A kids birthday party does not have to be on their birthday, she can have it sunday no harm done.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I'm with you. If her daughter's birthday was that important then she should have put her request in earlier.
lynnem1211
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I wouldn't change anything. You put yours in first. Too bad, so sad.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

See....no one knows the difference.

A friend of mine didn't find out her real birthday until she went for her learners permit and had to show her birth certificate.  Until then her Mom thought it would be cool to say her birthday is 7-7-77.  Turns out her birthday is really 7-6-77.

Quoting Anonymous:

Exactly. I know someone who told their 2 year old they're birthday was a day earlier than it was because they would be on a plane ride the actual day of her birthday lol

Quoting WifeyC:

It's the first birthday.  The kid won't remember if the celebration didn't happen on her birthday.

kelly617
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:28 PM

First come first served....she knew her daughters birthday ohhh about a year ago...she should have turned in her request like a month ago so she KNEW she'd get the day
I agree with you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)