Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm sorry you have to work on your kids birthday but I'm not budging!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Taking off is on a first come, first serve basis at my work. On the 20th of September I submitted my request to take the 18th through the 20th off(of October). The reason being that I have a road trip planned to see my best friend who moved 5 hours away.

This other girl submitted a request off for the 19th of October because it's her dd's first birthday.

Her request is going to get denied because both of us can't take a weekend day off. We have limited amount of weekend workers and due to our experience level, one of us has to be here.

I've had several people tell me I should take back my request because her reason is more important. I get that I would be upset if I had work on the day I planned to throw my kid her first birthday but shit happens. That's why I'm in college to get a job that doesn't require me to work these type of hours.

Everyone is saying I can go the next weekend but no I'm not doing that. We already have tons of activities lined up like going to certain festivals and concerts that won't be around the next weekend. I put my request in fair and square.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:30 PM

I'm with you.

DesertDuck
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't budge, either. If I didn't have big plans, though, I'd compromise to be nice. I'm a big believer in the favor bank, lol.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM

This is why I put in my requests months in advance.  I put in for Halloween off in August LOL.  It's not like she didn't know when her daughter's birthday was.  She should have put it in sooner.

iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM
That sucks for her. Luckily, one year olds don't know what a calendar is and probably wouldn't care that the party is the weekend before *or* after their actual bday!! It is really win win if she would be more open.
TheDoctorsWife
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM
I agree with you. First come first serve
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I have this kind of problem all the time too. Only for me, it's I should work that day because the other worker is a single mom. Sorry, not my problem, just because my DH will be at whatever event it is that I took off for doesn't mean that I don't want to be there too.

Last year, I had Christmas Eve and Christmas day off (I work in a hospital). I had to work New years day instead but fine by me. Then a co worker came and asked me to work for her on Christmas because she misread her visitation schedule and she had her kids on Christmas that year. Too bad. I have actually had the old nurse manager try to pressure me into switching and I stood up to her.

AvengedMommy101
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM

If you were first to submit yours then you should be the one getting the time off. She should have thought ahead of time.

Single88Mama
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Oh well, you put your request in first. What hours do you work? She could have the party after work. A child's first birthday is a big deal, but it's not essential to celebrate on the day of. She can do something small on the day of then have a big party the next day or something. It's selfish of her to ask if you'll cancel your weekend plans because she failed to put her request in sooner.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM
First come first serve.

chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM
The 1st birthday is more for the parents anyway and the kid won't have a clue what is going on. She can have the party one day that weekend. It doesn't have to be THAT day.

Personally, I would have requested off a few months ahead of time for my child's birthday.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN