Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Government trying to force girl to have chemo

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 66 Replies

A 10-year-old Amish girl will not be forced to undergo chemotherapy, an Ohio judge has ruled, siding with the girl's parents, who say previous chemotherapy made her sick.

Sarah has an 85 percent chance of survival with chemotherapy, according to a statement from Akron Children's Hospital. Without it, the cancer is "almost always fatal," the hospital wrote on its webpage about Sarah's case.
Though an appeals court sent the case back to a judge for further consideration last week, Judge John Lohn denied temporary limited guardianship to a nurse and dismissed the case in Medina County, Ohio, explaining that the Hershbergers are "good parents."

"They live a simple life, but this does not mean they are simple-minded," Lohn wrote in the ruling.

In April, Sarah Hershberger was diagnosed with lymphoblastic lymphoma, which resulted in tumors on her neck, chest and kidneys, according to court records. Sarah started chemotherapy at Akron Children's Hospital in Medina County, Ohio, but her parents, Andy and Anna Hershberger, decided to stop the treatments in June.
"We've seen how sick it makes her," Andy Hershberger told Good Morning America in a phone interview last week."Our belief is the natural stuff will do just as much as that stuff if it's God's will. She would have more suffering doing chemo than not."

The Hershbergers believe chemotherapy will kill Sarah, but they don't object to resuming it "at some point in the future," Lohn wrote in his ruling.

"Akron Children's Hospital is disappointed in Judge Lohn's ruling," the hospital said in a statement. "We believe this case is about children's rights and giving a 10-year-old girl an 85 percent chance of survival with treatment."

Lohn wrote that the chemotherapy wasn't a surefire cure, and that the Hershbergers weren't informed about its side effects.

"Sarah says her doctor should be put in jail," Lohn wrote. "Even if the treatments are successful, there is a very good chance Sarah will become infertile and have other serious health risks for the rest of her life."
A judge has currently blocked them from forcing her for now

Do you think the government should be able to force a child to have chemo against the parents wishes
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I think it is wrong to force anyone medical treatment they don't want. They tried it, the girl begged for it to stopped and the parents are honoring her wishes. (Well were.) They were going to try other methods. We are so quick to put animals down but have no problem making a human suffer. Chemo is poison.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:31 PM
Well chemo is poison. I know lots of people who would not subject themselves to it if they had cancer. I think its a horrible situation to be in. If the parents don't want it and the child doesn't want it, they have to accept that the child will likely die and they need to make that clear to the child as well.
GhettoKoolAide
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not the governments job to step in. Nosy people need to butt the hell OUT!
OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I have Christian Scientist family members who I think are wrong and honestly insane.

My opinion is very negative.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I'm not really understanding the case as its written in the op. Do you have a link to the while story?
Mtdewwid
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Unless someone can tell me that a horrible debilitating and painful treatment that reduces quality of life while receiving it is going to absolutely 100% cure my child, I think it should be none of the government's business what I decide for my child. Especially if my child is asking for treatment to stop. I understand this girl's chance is 85%...but let's say they take this child, force treatment and she dies anyway?
mstricey
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I agree with the parents on this one. The girl does not want it. They tried it before. She is old enough to understand that without it she may not get better although she may feel better at first.

I also believe in human euthanization. That's another topic though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I can definitely see both sides. Neither parents nor child want it. However, I certainly wouldn't allow my 9 year old to make that decision because he feels crummy from chemo in the short term. It would be very hard to do, but I would insist he receive it if the odds were that seriously stacked. 

I also don't think that parents should be allowed to withhold life-saving treatment because of their religious beliefs. Period. There's no question as to what is in this child's best interest. It's very clear that chemo will very, very likely save her life and that she'd almost certainly die without it. It's not a choice that should be left up to a 10 year old, and the parents are obviously not acting in her best interest, either, because of their own, unfounded beliefs. So I would have to go with yes, someone needs to look out for this child.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM
It's common for families to rely on the government stepping in so they don't have to choose between their child or their religion.

The Amish do normally accept chemo so that is probably not the case here.

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:It's not the governments job to step in. Nosy people need to butt the hell OUT!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I think the government needs to pretty much stay out of parenting other people's kids...they can't even keep themselves in check.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)