Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you move to have a yard? Update: we moved

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM
  • 70 Replies

Right now I live in an apartment building on the corner of a decently busy intersection. No yard on street parking only and I pay $575/month and have a very active 3 year old.

We got offered a house to rent a couple streets over but are not sure if we want it. It has a fenced in backyard with a storage shed (maybe 8*6). The yard is big enough that if I wanted to I could put a swingset in and still have plenty of room. The kitchen is in its own room (where we live now the living room and kitchen are in one big room).

The main problems is the "master" bedroom room is approx 11*11. Our bedroom now is pretty huge so I dont know if my stuff will fit in the new bedroom. (Have a queen bed, dresser, hope chest, jewelry stand.) The living room is either the same size as ours now or slightly smaller. And the lady who got kicked out took the stove and fridge so we would have to buy those. Rent will be $500/month. So would you move to a smaller place for a chance at a yard and cheaper rent?

Update: We ended up moving. The only thing that didn't fit in our bedroom was the rocking chair, but it now fits in the living room fine. Husband is getting used to it. I'm loving the space in the kitchen and my son is thrilled with the whole place

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bertha21
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Yeah I would. We have a huge yard, I couldn't imagine not having a yard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AleashaJ
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Yes, in a heart beat... IMO a yard would be the best thing for my dd... Cheaper rent would be an added bonus. Right now we are kind of living like you except we don't have any bedrooms, we have a basement bachelor one room for eating, sleeping, playing the kitchen just off to the side and a bathroom... It sucks 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM
3 moms liked this

I would absolutely move. Why wouldn't the landlord be responsible for providing the stove and fridge?

kbutton24
by Mrs.Sima on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Yes. We wouldn't live somewhere that didn't have a yard.
awesomemommy2
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I can't see why the furniture wouldn't fit. Maybe if you have to use the chest or jewelry stand in another room or maybe even in the hallway/entryway. I would never live in an apartment with kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
orchardmoma
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Yes I would and I have before

MommySwiggles
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Yep. I did.
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Yes

Mtdewwid
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Yup. I moved mainly so I could have a yard. However the house was much bigger than the apartment we moved from.
QueenAtargatis
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM
Yes. Definitely.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)