Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is this true?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 17 Replies
I was talking to my aunt today and asking about some stuff that would help me in court when I leave my husband. She says that anytime I went to the hospital fir injuries brcuase of him they will still have everything documented and that they suspected abuse even if I never told them truth about what was going on and if they had a hospital social worker talk to me that it will all be on file and will work in my favor in court. Is this true what she is saying?
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xXVICKYXx
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this

yes. its in your medical records.

raina_90
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Ok do I try in get those records or will the courts have to when the time comes

Quoting xXVICKYXx:

yes. its in your medical records.

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Won't you have an attorney?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
caligirl7613
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:29 PM
you probably need to go to the hospital and request them. do it asap too cuz i know at my childs dr office if i request her medical file, i have to do it in writing and give them 30 days to get it to me. im not saying it will be like this, but its a possibility
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Your injuries would be documented, but it won't necessarily say anything about abuse or suspicion of abuse, no. There is no mandated reporting for abuse of a competent adult, so it would just depend on what the practitioner decided to write. Honestly, unless there were some crazy inconsistencies in your story and injuries or you stated you were abused, there probably isn't much. We try to keep subjective opinion out of medical records.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raina_90
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I'm working on finding one that is pro bono

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Won't you have an attorney?

raina_90
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Ok I will get on that soon if it takes that long

Quoting caligirl7613:

you probably need to go to the hospital and request them. do it asap too cuz i know at my childs dr office if i request her medical file, i have to do it in writing and give them 30 days to get it to me. im not saying it will be like this, but its a possibility

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Usually your lawyer will subpoena the medical records for court, but if I was you I would request them myself also this way you have your own records. Just be prepared though it does cost to get your records. The hospital I work at charges 75cents a page for records so depending on how long you were in and what records you are requesting the price can get pretty high, which is why we tell most people to be specific as possible about the records they want/need so they are not paying for unnecessary things, (like most people dont need the nursing documentation that tells your vitals every couple hours). You can call the hospitals health information department (or medical records) and ask if you can review your records before you request what you are looking for, what usually happens here when someone does that is they come in and read their record and they mark (with a sticky tag) what pages they feel they need/want copied so they are not stuck paying for parts they dont need..

raina_90
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM
She said if they ask about abuse or have you speak to a hospital social worker they will document it

Quoting Anonymous:

Your injuries would be documented, but it won't necessarily say anything about abuse or suspicion of abuse, no. There is no mandated reporting for abuse of a competent adult, so it would just depend on what the practitioner decided to write. Honestly, unless there were some crazy inconsistencies in your story and injuries or you stated you were abused, there probably isn't much. We try to keep subjective opinion out of medical records.

raina_90
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM
I did not know you had to pay for records thanks for the heads up will def be reviewing the reocrdds before I request anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

Usually your lawyer will subpoena the medical records for court, but if I was you I would request them myself also this way you have your own records. Just be prepared though it does cost to get your records. The hospital I work at charges 75cents a page for records so depending on how long you were in and what records you are requesting the price can get pretty high, which is why we tell most people to be specific as possible about the records they want/need so they are not paying for unnecessary things, (like most people dont need the nursing documentation that tells your vitals every couple hours). You can call the hospitals health information department (or medical records) and ask if you can review your records before you request what you are looking for, what usually happens here when someone does that is they come in and read their record and they mark (with a sticky tag) what pages they feel they need/want copied so they are not stuck paying for parts they dont need..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)