Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Expulsion from school, and returning.... ***UPDATE***

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 28 Replies

I am wondering what other moms would do in this situation.

My DD is in 8th grade, there is a girl that attended the same elementary school as my DD and there has always been problems. One time when I was picking up my DD from school (she was in fifth grade at the time) because she called and asked me. She was worried because this girl told my DD that her and her brother were going to jump her after school, so i picked her up and contacted the school. Anyway, when I got there, my DD ran out of the school and was coming to our car, and I seen this girl and her much older brother starting to run after her. I jump out of the car and started yelling at the kids to stop, and to go home. They continued to call me a B**** and other things. I got my DD in the car and called the principal. In the end I had the police at my house, told them everything and was told that they have been having trouble with these kids all summer long, and that they would talk to their parents. After that there were still some issues but not to much.

Fast forward to middle school, the girl attended the same middle school as my DD, we had problems in 6th grade and half of 7th grade, but I made it so they would not see each other during the school day, and I always picked my DD up from school so there was no fights between them. Anyway this girl was expelled in the middle of the 7th grade school year for having to many fights with people. There was even a video of how she went to another girls house with her brother and whoever was recording the video. When the girl opened the door she was pulled out of the house at beaten up by this bully and her brother, and you can hear the girl say that's what you get for messing with a latin queen (so now she is claiming to be part of a gang).

Present time, my DD comes home from school yesterday and she is so upset, asking if she can change schools. Saying that she has been told that the girl who was expelled is coming back, and if she sees my DD she is going to kick her ass. I told her I didn't think she would be allowed back becasue she was expelled, and not to worry. Well I call the school board this morning, and they say that if the girl has met the stipulations that was set forth during the expulsion hearing she may be able to come back, but I should contact the principal for more details pertaining to this specific case, he would know more. So I called the school twice now and left a message for the principle to contact me about it. I have not heard from the principal yet.

I don't think it is OK for her to come back, especially since threats have already been made, I can not transfer schools because they will not bus her to a different school out of our district. I also can not drive her to school because we only have one vehicle and her dad takes it to work in the morning (he works 45 mins from our home), I am able to pick her up after school most of the time, unless her dad works late that day.

Sorry, this is so long....I just don't know what I should do. I don't want anything to happen to my DD, I am just worried I guess..... What do you think my options are, or what can I do to make sure nothing happens to my DD. BTW my DD is not the fighter type, she wouldn't even defend herself if she was being hit and that is what scares me.....

I finally spoke with the principal, he said that kids in our district do not get expelled from school unless they have brought a weapon to school, or tried to sell drugs. If they are violent, they are removed from the school to attend a program called chance for change. During this time the child is evaluated by therapists every 6 weeks, and when they therapist deems them fit to join the general population public school district again they will set up a meeting with the school. At this point the school decides stipulations the child needs to abide by, and if any one of those are broken the child will be removed immediately. Violations would be bullying, fights, and any other disruptive / violent behavior. He said he can not comment directly on this girl, but this is how a situation would go. He did tell me that he does not have any students set up with a meeting to return to gerenal pop, and that she is not currently enrolled in the school.

What a relief.....

I do hope that maybe this program will help this girl become a better person, everybody deserves a chance...right?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OhSara87
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Bump
sheloveearth
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Bump

AuntieM
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM
I'd go to the school and ask to see the principal. If he's busy, I'd sit there until he wasn't.
sheloveearth
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Do you think there is some way I can stop this from happening, if the girl is really coming back?

I plan on walking to the school tomorrow with my 3 year old if he does not call me back today...

Quoting AuntieM:

I'd go to the school and ask to see the principal. If he's busy, I'd sit there until he wasn't.

redhead-bedhead
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM

bump

mcrowley22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

I would go in and specifically speak to the principal. Explain that this girl has already started with the threats. Does your school district have a k-12 online program? Out here in Nevada we do. Maybe your daughter can do something like that if there is nothing that can be done with the bully. Hopefully the principal understands the gravity of the situation and deals with it accordingly. No child should go to school scared. 

sheramom4
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Try to get a restraining order from the local courts. If there is a TRO in place, she cannot enter the school grounds. Expelled is expelled on our area. The kids expelled are sent to a separate school or another district. Typically they have to complete a certain numbers of hours in hone alternative school program before any school will accept them.

rebeccab1966
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AuntieM:

Wow.  This.  And if they let her back I would write letters to anyone and everyone I could find and demand protection for my child.  School board, principal, the teachers. Department of Education, you name it.  SO sad that a kid with such frightening and threatening behavior would be allowed back.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My personal opinion, get your DD some self defense classes. That girl wont get so cocky when she sees your DD can handle herself.

o.O....
by Cara on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Where in NV are you?

Op- I would go to the school first thing in the am or this afternoon and speak with the principal. I hope you get things figured out!

Quoting mcrowley22:

I would go in and specifically speak to the principal. Explain that this girl has already started with the threats. Does your school district have a k-12 online program? Out here in Nevada we do. Maybe your daughter can do something like that if there is nothing that can be done with the bully. Hopefully the principal understands the gravity of the situation and deals with it accordingly. No child should go to school scared. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)