Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate being the only one in DH's family who has kids

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

First off, I am NOT complaining about having kids, I love my kids and am thankful for them.

The problem is out of DH's sister, his brother, parents, aunt, uncle and cousin, our kids are the only kids. His brother swears he will never have kids and his sister has been trying for a while, his cousin is in her late 30s and still has never had a serious man in her life, and his aunt and uncle's youngest is 24.So because no one else has kids, they have become the community kids. Like everyone thinks they deserve a say in our kids.

For example, I don't make my kids clean their plates to get dessert, especially with the amount MIL serves them, I just ask that they eat a good amount. I have told them they can have dessert (that I brought) and DH's aunt has, after hearing me say yes, has told my 5 year old to go sit back down and finish his food or no dessert. Or if someone thinks they are acting up (which is usually something like as simple as them sticking their tongues out at each other or something like that, little kids stuff) FIL has told them that if they don't stop, they will go to bed early  but they are coming home with us so we are putting them to bed. Another time,  I put Harry Potter on for them, we usually bring a movie for them to watch in the other room, I can see them from where I am sitting in the living room, while the adults visit because it's late and they get tired, and DH's cousin came in, saw what it was and turned it off and told them they can't watch it because Harry Potter is "evil".  These are just a few examples. Of course I or DH stand up to the person but 20 minutes later, someone says something else.

Well now they have pushed it even further, I am 21 weeks pregnant and me and DH have picked the name for the baby. We told everyone what we picked. Chloe Rose and several people, DH's mother, aunt and cousin,  sister and I think his dad, actually said no, don't use that use _____ like we were asking opinions or like they had some kind of say. DH got really mad (he picked out the name) and told them we already decided.

I mean we have been fighting this since our oldest was born and they don't get it. I understand that most of the people I have listed either want kids now and can't have them or wanted more kids and never had them and now it's too late but these are our kids and it is really annoying that people can't respect it. It has gotten so bad that even DH doesn't really want to go to family functions for his side anymore.

Anyone else deal with this? I just don't know what else to do, we have tried being firm, we have tried sitting people down and talking to them and our next step might have to be stop seeing them for a while.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM

BUMP!

nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:47 PM
Tell them to stop butting in or you will have to cut them out. How disrespectful to undermine you in front of your own children.
nicoal4
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Sadly it sounds like a break is in order.. that would be really annoying...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I would tell them to back off or don't be around my kids.

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM
We're the only ones with a kid in both our families. They're not like that to us or our kiddo. I think his family is just a bunch of jerks.

Though, we are keeping the name for this baby under wraps because of all the suggestions and dislike we got the first time around.
NorseGodessMom
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:48 PM

sounds really really toxic, I am sorry hun

HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
And how dare they say Harry Potter is evil!
HIJKLM
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I did. I had to stop spending time with them to protect my kids. A lot of people on CM say its wrong to do but I felt it was in my children's best interest to just avoid them.
Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Nope.....I would NOT stand for ANYONE telling MY kids what they have to eat or what they can or can't watch......EVER

Time to put your foot down and stop allowing then to walk all over you and your kids...............

k1kelley
by Kim on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM

As bad as it sounds, not seeing them for a while might do the trick. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)