Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I really need someone to explain why the speaker isn't bringing the debt ceiling thing to a vote

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies

OK.

they say there are 220 house of representatives who would be able to pass a clean debt ceiling increase. THere are also enough reps to pass a clean CR that would end the shutdown.

However,

Boehner refuses to bring any of it to a vote.

My question is, why isn't he? I don't remember much from government class, but I didn't realize one person had such power. I thought the whole point in congress was to hear all voices, not just the opinion of 1.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:55 PM

bump!

GaleJ
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Even some Republicans are puzzled, and as time goes by, frustrated by his intransigence. The small cadre of Tea Party affiliated Representatives should not wield this kind of power, it is completely out of proportion to their number and percentage of representation but it may speak to the money and power that is behind them and bankrolling them.

The reality is that this shutdown was totally inappropriate and serves no good purpose.

Quoting Anonymous:

OK.

they say there are 220 house of representatives who would be able to pass a clean debt ceiling increase. THere are also enough reps to pass a clean CR that would end the shutdown.

However,

Boehner refuses to bring any of it to a vote.

My question is, why isn't he? I don't remember much from government class, but I didn't realize one person had such power. I thought the whole point in congress was to hear all voices, not just the opinion of 1.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)