Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Constipated Baby! :(

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM
  • 28 Replies

My 10 month old has been constipated for 3 weeks now. I have tried everything my pediatrician recommended: Dark Karo Syrup, more fluids, juice, NO apples or bananas. Finally the only thing that has worked for her is having ½ teaspoon of Milk of Magnesia twice a day. That keeps her poop nice and soft.

I've noticed is she doesn't get the MOM, she’ll get constipated all over again. Could this be something serious?  I'm surprised that her pediatrician doesn't seem too concerned? Could it just be the formula that is constipating her and once she gets off that at 1 the constipation will go away or would you suspect it's something else? 
I've been worried, she's in pain when she poops. crying

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mistie900
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
It could be the formula or other foods she is getting. When you switch to whole milk at one it may or may not help. I think I would keep bringing it up to the doctor and see of there is something g else that can be done. I know I'm not much help. Sorry. My daughter had a couple issues when she was a baby but eventually grew out of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:09 PM
Does she eat fruits/veggies? If you can get her to eat apple slices, especially with the skin on, that should help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweetie1216
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:12 PM

She only like sweet potatos, oatmeal, applesauce or mash potatos. I think the DR. said no apples or bananas..

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Does she eat fruits/veggies? If you can get her to eat apple slices, especially with the skin on, that should help.

liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM
No bananas makes sense, but apples are high in fiber especially if you eat the skins.

Quoting Sweetie1216:

She only like sweet potatos, oatmeal, applesauce or mash potatos. I think the DR. said no apples or bananas..

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babyspots17
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Have you tried prune juice?  I would be very leary of giving a baby mOM twice a day their bodies can become dependent upon laxatives.  My son is on Miralax daily and that is the only kind our doctor would recommend I would talk to you doctor about the Milk of Mag you could be causing more issues. 

SaraBethKY
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband is a pediatrician and says it is the formula that makes our DD constipated and is also not concerned. He said he is surprised when he sees formula fed babies that are NOT haha. We use something called BabyMove that he found at Walgreens. It is a prune juice concentrate and pretty gentle. It seems to kick in within 24 hours. I usually give her a a little bit every other day to keep her "regular"

MIA0223
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Pear juice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SaraBethKY
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:19 PM

This is what my DH said too

Quoting babyspots17:

Have you tried prune juice?  I would be very leary of giving a baby mOM twice a day their bodies can become dependent upon laxatives.  My son is on Miralax daily and that is the only kind our doctor would recommend I would talk to you doctor about the Milk of Mag you could be causing more issues. 

skittlebeans88
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Pears with the skin have a lot of fiber as well
Sweetie1216
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM

I've tried prune and apple juice. I'm thinking she's becoming immune to it & it's the same stuff I take, I was shocked her pediatrician recommend that for a baby.  

Quoting babyspots17:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)