Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 5 year old said something concerning, and frightening today

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
Daily when DD gets home from school she throws hissy fits, is defiant, hateful, and at times violent towards DS. I've been exploring options to find a way to nip this in the bud.

Today DH went to pick her up from school and she starts acting out as usual. Except today she grabs one of the straps on her carseat, wraps it around her neck, and says "I'm going to choke myself."

Where the hell did a 5 year old learn that, and what do I do? How would you respond to that?

She does excellent in school, both in classwork and behavior, and she nevef behaved like this before she started school. Please help me, I'm concerned. What's wrong with my sweet girl and how do I help her?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TallChic
by Stacey on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Maybe you should have her talk to a counselor.  That doesn't sound like normal 5 yr old behavior.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Google ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) and see if that seems like her. I have an 8 year old who is similar and meets all ODD criteria. He has an appt with the dr on the 21st to be diagnosed and possibly start treatment (therapy). I thought he was just being a brat, but turns out, it's something he can't really control. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Is she in kindergarten? Full day or half? Big schedule change or used to early mornings?
My son had a really tough time with adjusting and similar acting out when he started kindergarten. It was a big schedule change and he had a hard time being separated from his sister and I all day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I need to get a referral for insurance, I can probably get her into her pediatrician this week.

Quoting TallChic:

Maybe you should have her talk to a counselor.  That doesn't sound like normal 5 yr old behavior.

PinkOwlStuffy
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Wow..I got nothing. =/

Good luck, Mama. Someone else here may be able to help. Here's a bump.

sweetaspie630
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I would definately talk to a counselor, and have HER talk to one. This is a HUGE red flag. My alarm bells are going off majorly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I'll look it up.

Quoting Anonymous:

Google ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder) and see if that seems like her. I have an 8 year old who is similar and meets all ODD criteria. He has an appt with the dr on the 21st to be diagnosed and possibly start treatment (therapy). I thought he was just being a brat, but turns out, it's something he can't really control. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM

At what point does she settle down again?  Do her tantrums have to do with being hungry and tired?  I know her outburst today was extreme, but I've found with my kids (and with myself), that if they're hungry they can become possessed little demons, and they don't even realize that they need food.  Once we feed them, they settle right down.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM

What state are you in? Some states have a mobile response unit that will go right out to the home. Others will suggest you take her to the nearest ER for crisis. I dont want to scare you or seem over-reactive but you should probably have her talk to someone ASAP just in case something is going on in her head she can't control...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM
She's in pre-k full day. Its a schedule change by about 2 hours.

Quoting Anonymous:

Is she in kindergarten? Full day or half? Big schedule change or used to early mornings?

My son had a really tough time with adjusting and similar acting out when he started kindergarten. It was a big schedule change and he had a hard time being separated from his sister and I all day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)