Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your child have glasses? If so, I have questions!

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM
  • 28 Replies
My DD failed her vision screening at school, and at her peds office today...they're referring us to a pediatric eye doctor to see what's going on...

What all do they do? Her father and I both have glasses, and needed them early, so I'm not that surprised, I just want to be prepared...any specific questions I should ask?

What was your child's vision if they needed glasses? From what she could see today, DD has 20/30 in one eye and 20/40 in another...she is 5...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schauseil
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM
I got glasses in the third grade, it was just a normal exam.
Kat31
by AlwaysWatching on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:34 PM
How old is she? It's pretty much like an adult exam except if she can't recognise letters they use shapes.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:36 PM
I'm just wondering if she actually needs glasses, or if they just keep an eye on things? My vision is REALLY bad, like 20/400 bad, haha...so I don't know what they do for mild cases...

Quoting Schauseil:

I got glasses in the third grade, it was just a normal exam.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kat31
by AlwaysWatching on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Oh I forgot to add DS is 9 and has a -1.50 and -2.00 prescription. I am -8.00 in both eyes. I hope he doesn't end up blind like me.
mamavalor
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM

DD1 has had glasses since 4th grade and her prescription hasn't changed since then, which is the lightest prescription available.  DD likes to see things VERY clearly.

As long as your DD is seen by a board certified pediatric ophthalmologist, you should be fine.  I would suggest that you instruct your DD to listen and do whatever the doctor tells her to do.  The examination can be a bit uncomfortable for kids who have never seen an eye doctor before.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:37 PM
She's 5...

Quoting Kat31:

How old is she? It's pretty much like an adult exam except if she can't recognise letters they use shapes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
struezel
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Both my girls wear glasses, one from age five and the other from age three. They just do an eye exam with the charts and with the steampunk looking chair...the doc switching lenses constantly...they also did the lights on either side and them raising their hand for which side they see it on. (Peripheral vision) They don't do the pushing or blast of air on the kids' eyes. Last exam they had a new service of taking photos of the eyes....we opted to do that. It is pretty powerful and is for checking eye health. 

AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM

It's just a normal eye exam. They do shapes instead of letters for young ones. 

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Same here...I'm blind without my glasses, haha...

Quoting Kat31:

Oh I forgot to add DS is 9 and has a -1.50 and -2.00 prescription. I am -8.00 in both eyes. I hope he doesn't end up blind like me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:43 PM
When my dd got glasses at 5, her vision was 20/50 and she "has the worst astigmatism I've ever seen at this age", said her eye doctor.

If it's offered, pay the extra money for taking pictures verses dilation. Other than that, it'll be a standard eye exam, like the ones you have.

20/40 is half as good as her vision should be so yes, they'll probably prescribe her glasses.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)