Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

to charge or not to charge

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM
  • 43 Replies
If you left something behind but went back for it and it was gone.....is it considered stealing if someone took it?

This happened to my daughter at school today. She takes her SLR camera to school because she has a photography class. She was in a hurry to eat lunch and left her camera underneath the seat she was sitting on. She was on her way to her next class when she realized she didn't have her camera so she went back for it and it was gone. She went to the office and they asked her for the names of the people she was sitting with, called them I'm but they all said they didn't have it. She went back to the office later to see if anyone had turned it in, no one had. She then went to talk top the police officer on campus. The officer found her camera and the boy admitted that he was only giving it back because he got caught with it. So the officer told my daughter to talk to her parents to see if we want to press charges.

I'm on the fence about it because it was my daughter that left it behind because she was rushing. My husband thinks we should press charges because it wasn't his to take. He had the chance to return it and chose not to.

WWYD? I'm torn!
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Teeshann
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:23 PM

i don't know. ya it wasn't his to take and he should be punished for taking something that wasn't his but if it was my daughter she'd be in trouble with me for not taking care of the camera.

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM
The boy knew full well it was stealing. And if her leaving it behind means it's his to take, becoming his new property, why would the security officer bother taking it back? Because it was stealing!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:26 PM
How old are they?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:27 PM
2 moms liked this

press charges.   It wasn't his period.  He had no business with it.   The fact that she left it behind does not matter.   He stole something that wasn't his.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:30 PM

How old? If its HS charges! If its middle school or elementary school I would just talk with his parents, and also make sure dd know she needs to keep accountability of her stuff.

darcibeisheim
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Instead of pressing charges use it as a learning lesson. Talk to his parents suggest that he do some community service or possibly some type of jail tour. If you press charges it will become part if his record.
smenjivar
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh she is!

Quoting Teeshann:

i don't know. ya it wasn't his to take and he should be punished for taking something that wasn't his but if it was my daughter she'd be in trouble with me for not taking care of the camera.

smenjivar
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:29 PM
My daughter is 16. Don't know how old the boy is.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

How old are they?
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I agree with Darci.

Quoting smenjivar:

My daughter is 16. Don't know how old the boy is.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

How old are they?

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

It's stealing.  The law doesn't care about "finder's keeper's".  If you find something that isn't your's to turn it in, you don't take it.  If you take it, it's stealing. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN