Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parents, please... A plea from the teacher

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies
6 moms liked this

If you need to chat with your child's teacher, please don't just show up and expect to speak with them during the school day. Email or call and schedule a time. I'm not going to neglect my class and stop what I'm doing to talk with you about little Johnny. 

I got called from the office today- they had stopped a parent who was going to come to my room to talk with me about her child. The office asked if I was available... Um, no?  I have a room full of kids!  I said to tell her she'd be welcome to come up after all the kids had left or before school tomorrow. The parent wanted a time during the school day.  Um, no, sorry. 

So, parents, unless you have set it up ahead of time, don't just pop in for a conference. Feel free to come observe in my room, but don't think I'm going to be available to talk. 

Thank you. :)

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sheloveearth
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Agreed

SweetPea2004
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I agree but teachers normally have a conference period during the day. Have you emailed that time out to your parents?

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Our teachers don't.

Quoting SweetPea2004:

I agree but teachers normally have a conference period during the day. Have you emailed that time out to your parents?

The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM
2 moms liked this

hmmm... i thought that was common sense and protocol given to parents jn the beginning of the school year

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM
4 moms liked this

What is this conference time you speak of?  I have a planning period but I use it to plan, make copies, grade papers, have team meetings, etc.  

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM

You'd think, and it is in our handbook. Which apparently some parents aren't familiar with.   Unfortunately. 

Quoting Anonymous:

hmmm... i thought that was common sense and protocol given to parents jn the beginning of the school year

twisted_tongue
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Seems crazy that anyone would expect you to stop what your doing with the class and run to the office for an impromptu meeting!
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I have never heard of a conference time during the day? You call and or email and set up an appointment, unless it is am emergency, like you slapped my kid, then you see me on MY time.
suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I have an appointment next Tuesday. I would never just show up!

Sweetest_Britt
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Whooooa! So rude! I just email, I assume they're busy before and after school, so I just email!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured