Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Pa rant

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have wrote post on here before within the past couple of weeks about this. My mom she moved to florida where i live and applied for Food stamps and medicaid. She get $742 a month ssdi.  I am only venting again because once again she was having to pay out of pocket to see a doctor.

When she applied she got approved for  $39 in food stamps and then it was knocked down to $28 with the cut.  What i can't understand is why she got only approved for medicaid share of cost. SO while she does have medicare it doesn't pay for it all. she has a copay on meds and is having to pay $50 copay to see doctors. She is paying $400 a month in bills, as of right now paying out $150 in copays to see doctors and $2 per med, and she is on a lot of meds. So she is basicially screwed. She get hardly anything in food stamps and because she wasn't approved for full medicaid she is now paying a lot out of pocket for copays. SHe didn't have to pay that where she lived before. We are don't know what she is going to do or how i can help her because there isn't going to be enough left for food. NOw she is stuck choosing between meds, doctors, and food.

Before anyone says, she shouldn't had moved. She had too. Her mind isn't like it used to be and needed to be close to me so i can watch out for her and help her. We couldn't move because this is where DH work is.

Moving in with me isn't an option, not at this moment right now. We don't have room. I have a teen and a preteen who is sn and because of that  I am a sahm plus I take my mom to all of her doctor appointments too. So there isn't any ways i can work with doctor appointment for my sn child and school appointment and my mom doctor appointment. So with only one income  we can not afford a bigger place for her to move in with us.

WTF is wrong with the system ,where women can be sahm and get $600 to $700 a month in food stamps and full medicaid while an elderly  person gets barely anything at all. They worked their whole life paid into the system until they became disabled. and get screwed while women who are able to work choose not too.

I am not against PA, I have had to received PA myself in the past, and I worked but when i see my mom struggling like this, it pisses me off.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BEXi
by BEXi on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Oh boy..

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM
1 mom liked this

if they get that much in food stamps then they have a lot of kids or working min. wage. and most parents cant get medicaid

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:28 PM

if she worked all her life and paid into the system she wouldnt be getting SSI shed be getting SSDI!  second everyone on SSI automatically gets medicaid, third im on SSDI and have a 5 year old and i get ZERO in fs, so she still gets more than me and only has herself,i have a kid

okay my bad she is on SSDI
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:31 PM

she isn't getting ssi she is getting ssdi . that is why she isn't getting full medicaid because she isn't on ssi. also do you have a husband, boyfriend? my mom is widowed.

Quoting Anonymous:

if she worked all her life and paid into the system she wouldnt be getting SSI shed be getting SSDI!  second everyone on SSI automatically gets medicaid, third im on SSDI and have a 5 year old and i get ZERO in fs, so she still gets more than me and only has herself,i have a kid

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Most parents who get PA get medicaid , not all parents get medicaid. just ask on here how many people pay for their own insurance. and i know someone who is a sahm, getting close to $700 in food stamp for a family of 4, by not claiming her boyfriend income and she is a sahm.

edit i read your reply wrong. IF they get pa and food stamp the parent do and can get medicaid, I have known plenty that do. depending on their income will depend if it is  share of cost or full medcaid, living off of miniwage of being a sahm they get full medicaid for themselves.

Quoting Anonymous:

if they get that much in food stamps then they have a lot of kids or working min. wage. and most parents cant get medicaid

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM

yeah i edited my reply even before you said that, im on SSDI and i still get medicaid ,but i get no fs and i have a kid, my elderly mom on the other hand on social security with no kids gets 167 a month in fs  i have no idea how they make their decisions

Quoting Anonymous:

she isn't getting ssi she is getting ssdi . that is why she isn't getting full medicaid because she isn't on ssi. also do you have a husband, boyfriend? my mom is widowed.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM
She is getting more than she would in Texas. I am on medicare and pay $156 preium a month PLUS all of the deductibles PLUS I do not get a cent in fs. I have needed a surgery for 2 years and cannot pay the $1500 hospital copay plus the copay for the drs. I have not had new glasses in over 8 years. If social security money is not paid in Nov, I don't know what I will do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:45 PM
I was telling my mom about the shutdown if she losed her ssdi, she is screwed. With out her meds she will die. Without food she might die.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Quoting Anonymous:

Most parents who get PA get medicaid , not all parents get medicaid. just ask on here how many people pay for their own insurance. and i know someone who is a sahm, getting close to $700 in food stamp for a family of 4, by not claiming her boyfriend income and she is a sahm.

edit i read your reply wrong. IF they get pa and food stamp the parent do and can get medicaid, I have known plenty that do. depending on their income will depend if it is  share of cost or full medcaid, living off of miniwage of being a sahm they get full medicaid for themselves.

Quoting Anonymous:

It depends on the state. In TX only pregnant women or extremely low income disabled adults can get medicaid--it is primarily a program for low income kids here.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM
In Florida and Tennessee if you have a child under 18 and within the income guideline the parents get it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

It depends on the state. In TX only pregnant women or extremely low income disabled adults can get medicaid--it is primarily a program for low income kids here.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)