Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well then...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm 22 years old and have an 18-month-old. I am a single mom. I recently got bashed for not working because I'm doing a full-time university degree. I'll be done in a year and a bit, and just start scoping out jobs to see what starting wage was like. It looks like starting wage is $25/hr, that's $4000 a month, before taxes :) 

Take that jerks! I may have been poor for a few years and maybe I had to rely on the government for a bit, but I will be making more than enough afterwards and will pay more than I received in taxes over time.  Sure beats flipping burgers for $10/hr ;) 

What do you think of people who need welfare or take a student loan for 1-2 years in order to be in a better position for themselves and their kids?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Wages also go up to $50/hr :) That's just with my undergrad after working for a bit I might persue further education, like my Masters/PhD once my little guy is in school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM

what makes you think you'll get a job in your field straight out of school? You just may end up in Subways as a Sandwich Artist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:41 PM

One of the reasons I chose my program.. high demand. And yes I may not get a job right away but it's better to try and fail than to never try at all. Would you rather me sit on welfare for my whole life, or not be able to feed my kid properly because I only get minimum wage? 

Quoting Anonymous:

what makes you think you'll get a job in your field straight out of school? You just may end up in Subways as a Sandwich Artist.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Goating doesn't look good on anyone.

Like another poster said, a degree does not guarantee a job immediately nor high pay immediately.  In this market, it's tough and they are starting off lower. 

It's good you got a degree though because it'll serve you well.  Congratulations.

Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Where do you think burger flippers make $10 an hour? I hope it all works out for you and you get the wage you want, but $25 an hour isn't much to raise a family on. Good luck.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:42 PM

honestly, I couldn't care less either way.

Quoting Anonymous:

One of the reasons I chose my program.. high demand. And yes I may not get a job right away but it's better to try and fail than to never try at all. Would you rather me sit on welfare for my whole life, or not be able to feed my kid properly because I only get minimum wage? 

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

what planet do you live in where you can't support a family on $25 hourly working full time? I live in NYC and we could even survive on that.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Where do you think burger flippers make $10 an hour? I hope it all works out for you and you get the wage you want, but $25 an hour isn't much to raise a family on. Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

In Canada.. it's where I live. Minimum wage is $10.75 now. $25 is about average here and is a fair income where I live. 

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

pinkcsmtlgy
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I have no problem when people use welfare to better themselves. I have a problem when people are on it for many years and do nothing to help themselves.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:44 PM

This.

Quoting Anonymous:

what planet do you live in where you can't support a family on $25 hourly working full time? I live in NYC and we could even survive on that.

Quoting Kodysmommy928:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)