Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You know what?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM
  • 73 Replies
1 mom liked this
There is hardly any to no compassion in society now! I don't give a damn how long I had been planning a trip, if a coworker came to me asking me to reschedule so they could spend their child's first birthday with them, I would. That doesn't make any better than any of you, but it does mean I have some damn compassion. My trip is not that important. A child's birthday IS important.

I have had something very similar happen. A coworker of my best friend was scheduled to work on her son's birthday. My friend had a cpl days lff, including that day, so she could come visit me. She was asked by the coworker to reschedule. Guess what? She did. And when she called menand explained the situation, I commeded her on being a decent human being and having some compassion. I wasn't mad. I understood. She came down a few weeks later, and guess what, we still got to do everything he had originally planned to do! Wow, shocker, right? How dare she have some compassion!

Geez Louise, people.

Rant over.

Yes, I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't care.

This is NOT just for that post, or first birthdays. This is for EVERY birthday, along with every time a parent has to miss a surgery, or something else important because of selfish coworkers. A birthday was just the only thing I've had personal experience with.
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cateringtomel
by Anna_Elijah on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM
What? O___o
I'm seriously confused here
Pink.Sunshine.
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

huh?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:55 PM

What if your trip was already paid for? I wouldn't reschedule my trip if it was already paid for & I couldn't get my money back. My boss would just have to accomodate my co-worker.

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM
3 moms liked this

It's not like a child's birthday is a huge surprise.  She waited until the last minute to put in for time off and it bit her in the bum.  I sure wouldn't change my plans because other people were thinking that I should. Especially if I put in for my time off months ago and been carefully planning a trip somewhere.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
It is a first birthday. The kid won't know if it's on the right day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ThatSkinnyGirl
by FAT on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this
I would never expect someone to reschedule their vacation around my family's life.
TaughtTot
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Some people are bitter.  If I knew my boss wouldn't let me off or my coworkers were a bunch of hags, I'd keep my mouth shut and be sick that day.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

And I don't see why, if it is that important to the mother, she didn't put in for the leave at the earliest possible moment.  DH puts in for his leave for important child-related events MONTHS in advance.  She should have put in the leave and then scheduled the party, or jumped on putting in her leave ASAP.  Not whine and moan when she procrastinated and lost her chance.

Yeah, first birthdays are special, but even as a mother I don't think Moms should get all the special treatment at work.  The rule is there to make it fair for everyone.

PrimmednPunked
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:57 PM

Not sure what this is about but I agree with you.  A child's birthday is more important than a trip that can be rescheduled.  It is the right and compassionate thing to do.  But so many people here only care about themselves.  Heartless.

Ashley1113
by Ashlashbash on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:58 PM
If it's something extremely expensive and you can't get a refund, explain that. But if it's just a trip to visit a friend, and everything is an expense you pay when you get there, oh well. Just freaking reschedule!

Quoting Anonymous:

What if your trip was already paid for? I wouldn't reschedule my trip if it was already paid for & I couldn't get my money back. My boss would just have to accomodate my co-worker.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)