Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Slow cooker whole chicken recipe?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

So i have this four pound chicken defrosting in the fridge.I really want to try cooking it in the slow cooker tomorrow.Any ideas that do not involve me driving to the grocery store?

I have frozen veggies and rice on hand for sides,but I need to know what if anything I need to put in with the chicken.Is it ok to cook alone with just spices? I assume it will make its own juices.Im thinking eight hours on low as well?And what is up with some recipes saying throw in balled foil on the bottom?

My kids will forever appreciate any help you give their undomesticated mom.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I would maybe mixes the spices with a little bit of butter or oil. You can also add a little bit of chicken stock if you want some additional flavor.

mawfia
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:43 PM
1 mom liked this
The foil on the bottom helps the bottom to not get all soggy and mushy. I just season it and cook it all day. No real recipe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joeynwillsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this
I stick lemon or lime slices and garlic cloves under the skin and inside and season the outside and let it cook all day. I do not use foil for a whole chicken though, I only do if I cook drumsticks in the crock pot.
MixedCooke
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 2:08 AM

arroz con pollo--basically Spanish style chicken and rice.  Brown the chicken, then add yellow rice, spices, a can of beer (the alcohol cooks off, you can subst. broth or cooking sherry), diced onions, diced peppers, diced tomatoes, peas and cook it low for a few hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)