Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pro-Lifers...I have a question...

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 96 Replies
1 mom liked this
Say abortion is actually banned and Roe v Wade is overturned...

What do you actually think will happen? Do you think abortions will completely stop? What happens when there isn't safe access to them? What happens to the millions of children that are now born to parents that don't want to, or can't, support them? This isn't a theoretical 'don't open your legs' question, it's a reality that potentially millions of unwanted babies will be born.

What do you think the implications are of declaring personhood to a fetus?

I'd like to see answers grounded in reality...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I think they would still happen and I'm still pro-choice. 

Tdigsoreos
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I consider myself pro life. However I have qualms when it comes to this issue. I also take issue with it being outlawed for rape, incest, life of the mother. That being said I'm glad it's a choice I wouldn't have to make. 

kristen0812
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM
It would go back to severe infections and women dying in alleyways from backyard/basement abortions. I'm pro choice.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
What qualms do you have?

And why the distinction in manner of conception?

Quoting Tdigsoreos:

I consider myself pro life. However I have qualms when it comes to this issue. I also take issue with it being outlawed for rape, incest, life of the mother. That being said I'm glad it's a choice I wouldn't have to make. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redbutterfly666
by Sapphire Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM

im pro-choice so heres a bump

lenashark
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
12 moms liked this

A child is a child, even if they aren't born yet. They are a person and it isn't okay to take an innocent life. Saying "well what happens when there isn't safe access to abortions?" sounds just about as dumb to me as saying "why can't we make it easier for parents to kill their kids when they don't want them anymore, if there isn't easy access, more people could get hurt." Of course there will be illegal abortions and more kids born to bad homes, but the answer to that isn't "kill the kids", its finding solutions to those problems, more access and information to birth control, better places to leave unwanted children, better care for foster children, etc. As for women dying because they got botched abortions, I feel just about as much sympathy for them as I do women who are killed by someone after they have drowned their child in the bathtub, I feel sorry for them that they ended up in that situation, but it was their choice and they gave their childs life for it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
3 moms liked this

Where are all the millions of forty plus year old men and women that weren't wanted? There really isn't because before abortion was legal people practiced control and even before birth control. Even though abortion is legal countless women still take it into their own hands.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:22 PM

In a perfect ideal world, I'd like to see women to be taken care of during their pregnancy, physically and mentally and for adoption to become more rampant. There are lots of couples wanting babies, and lots of babies being born not so wanted. That being said, I'm not 100% pro-life I think, I have a hard time saying no to abortion. I could not abort myself, but that's my body and I can say what I want. In terms of other people's bodies, pregnancy is hard. Mentally and physically. Adoption is harder than I could probably imagine as I didn't go through it but I saw a friend go through it and she still has a hard time even though she never wanted kids. 

Everytime I hear about someone getting an abortion, whether 4 weeks or 14 weeks, I feel sick to my stomach and my heart breaks. But I know as a human, I can't criticize or judge. I don't know what they went through or their circumstances. 

I also know, realistically my ideal world would not happen. There would be more back alley abortions and more girls throwing infants in dumpsters. We have safe havens but sometimes they aren't used. The overturning of this law would be extremely detrimental and women would be in a precarious condition. Many young girls would not have a second chance.

I am pro-life for myself. I cannot be pro-life for others because that is unfair for me to dictate their bodies. But I don't support or encourage abortions and I'm sad and disgusted whenever I hear of one, because I mourn the baby, as does the mother I assume. It's not easy but the alternative is much worse.

I guess I didn't answer your question as I'm not 100% pro-life. I am for myself but I don't think people should be able to dictate what others can do with their bodies. I think abortion is a horrible disgusting thing, but I also think mistakes happen and growing up being calling a "mistake" and being told I was "unwanted" gives me a different perspective. 

I guess I'm just a realist in spite of my feelings. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM

there were abortions before it was legal... there will still be abortions if it was overturned.

shelly3b
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting lenashark:

A child is a child, even if they aren't born yet. They are a person and it isn't okay to take an innocent life. Saying "well what happens when there isn't safe access to abortions?" sounds just about as dumb to me as saying "why can't we make it easier for parents to kill their kids when they don't want them anymore, if there isn't easy access, more people could get hurt." Of course there will be illegal abortions and more kids born to bad homes, but the answer to that isn't "kill the kids", its finding solutions to those problems, more access and information to birth control, better places to leave unwanted children, better care for foster children, etc. As for women dying because they got botched abortions, I feel just about as much sympathy for them as I do women who are killed by someone after they have drowned their child in the bathtub, I feel sorry for them that they ended up in that situation, but it was their choice and they gave their childs life for it.

I agree with this
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)