Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breaking lease agreement ETA***

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

I've read our lease agreement several times now and see nothing about what would happen if we moved out before the agreed date (April 1, 2014)

We have the shittiest neighbors. The guy downstairs is blaring his music and when I complained, he said he hears my kids during the day. Ok, well it states in the lease about NOT playing loud music. And I'm sure the city has a noise ordinance.
He's a really loud talker. My kids have heard him talking about n:gger this, bitch that; sex.

The people next door argue and scream all the time-day or night. Their trash is all over the place. My daughter saw a fricking rat this morning!!

I feel like if we complain to the property manager they'll just think we're whining or being bitchy. But fuck!

I'm so frustrated. I told my husband we should just break the lease but we don't want any legal ramifications.
As I type this I can hear the guy downstairs violently bitching.

ETA*** I'm going to start documenting everything from now on and complain to the rental office.

We're trying not to be confrontational to the neighbors and get along, but there is only so much we can take. I hate calling cops on people, but I guess if it has to be done, then I'll do it.

When the guy was bitching earlier I was actually a little scared he'd come to my door.

We don't want to break our lease unless absolutely necessary.
Thank you all for your advice.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Foolynroo2
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You signed a lease, that means you agree to pay the rent on that place until the expiration date.

if you break the lease, they CAN hold you liable for the rent money due them until then or until they rent the place out.

leksismommy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Complain to the property manager, if nothing is done, complain again and agian

Canvas_says
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Yeah, breaking a lease doesn't take you off the hook for the rent.

eykelley
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:24 PM
U need to call ur state housing dept. We dis this when our landlord refused to fix our ac (we live in az). They told us legally he couldn't do anything to us if we broke the lease becuz he was neglecting to fix the ac.
Katt709
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Post your lease.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM
You want to read it??

Quoting Katt709:

Post your lease.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM
I know that. I wouldn't want to fuck over the property manager but I don't know what else to do.

Quoting Canvas_says:

Yeah, breaking a lease doesn't take you off the hook for the rent.

Idntreallycare
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:27 PM

I would talk to the manager before trying to break the lease. I believe they need to have a chance to rectify the situation before they will say "ok, you may leave"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
You signed a lease till April? You pay till April living in the home or not :( complain to the manager!!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM
CALL THE LANDLORD! Who gives a hoot what he / she thinks. His job is to enforce his policies. Your job is to inform him of the problems.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)