Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you have another child if....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 39 Replies

You already had one who has special needs and its proven to be caused by a genetic abnormality?

Im torn on this and I need peoples opinions and reasoning behind that thinking. My yongest has a rare chormosomal abnormality that not much is known about. She has mecial problems and has had to have 1 surgery and 1 outpaitent procedure but may end up needing surgery 2-3 more times for different things. She is slightly behind in speaking and some gross motor but in a lot of areas she is like every other 23 month old.

I want another baby, I wanted 3 since I was a kid, But Im torn on if I can handle another child with special needs, or if its even politically correct.

Just want to add I have an older child who is perfectly healthy and seems to not be affected by this abnormality, we are unaware of who passed this to our youngest or if it was just a spontanious mutation which it very well could be and we will be tested but Its going to take a few months to do this.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:34 PM

no

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Sure. Do IVF and use PGD to be sure the embryo you transfer doesn't have the abnormality.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Granted thats a good way to go about it, Not sure its in the budget though. Both my kids we had to use fertility treatments but we never had to go as far as IVF. Im sure we could find a way to make it work but thats not really the way I pictured making another baby lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sure. Do IVF and use PGD to be sure the embryo you transfer doesn't have the abnormality.

OrientalLily
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:50 PM

Personally, I would not.  I wouldn't be willing to take that risk.

tardistraveller
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

i wouldn't no.  But I don't judge people who decide differently than me.

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:51 PM

No I would not. And quite frankly when I see women post on here that have 3 or 4 kids with special needs I always wonder what on earth their mindset is that they keep having children.

matofour
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Couldn't you have genetic testing? To see if either you or husband carry a genetic marker for something?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I would not. But I've met women who have and who wouldn't chaange it for anything
Mom2RSD
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:53 PM
I personally don't have faith that I would be able to raise a more than 1 special needs child, andd wouldn't intentionally do something that could result in another
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Yeah, not super romantic! Lol

Quoting Anonymous:

Granted thats a good way to go about it, Not sure its in the budget though. Both my kids we had to use fertility treatments but we never had to go as far as IVF. Im sure we could find a way to make it work but thats not really the way I pictured making another baby lol.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)