Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

natural hair mommas

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM
  • 12 Replies
so i been natural for almost 8 months (this was unintentional) i keep my hair braided while pregnant-after labor and have been through a series of corn rows, rope twist, and now crochet braids. but i getting brave and thinking about attempting to do my own box braids. im nervous but hell its getting to expensive to keep paying people and all i see is prices getting higher and higher any of you do your own any tips you have for me...im waiting till the weekend so i can have my dh around to care for our 6mth old while i atleast get the perimeter out the way
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheSilence
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:02 PM
I am growing my hair out. Since I am pregnant I can't dye it.
SWEET737
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:12 PM

I learn to do box braids by watching it on You Tube and now I have been doing my hair and my daughters for almost 3 years.  You are right to have someone in a salon do your hair is getting expensive but if you go to a beauty school, you will find some reasonable prices for all types of hair styles. Just ask for the student that is getting ready to graduate( that should be the one with the most experience).

cali_gurl
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you part of the african american mommies group? You might find more help there. They even have a natural hair forum. :) I went natural in college but don't do braids much.

yo.momma.
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:15 PM
i am but it seems like its barely anyone there when i use to postt so i dont even think about it anymore.
Quoting cali_gurl:

Are you part of the african american mommies group? You might find more help there. They even have a natural hair forum. :) I went natural in college but don't do braids much.

yo.momma.
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
i can braid im just so lazy lol it can take me 2 days to do cornrows with extensions. i want to do my own i know its easy..i should say it looks easy since i have never done it before im just getting turned away by the amount of time it may take me :/ but i rather do it myself then pay 100+ for someones else. and i just had a daughter so i would like to get use to different things so we dont have to turn to someone else to do her hair like i see other do (no offense to those that do go else where)
Quoting SWEET737:

I learn to do box braids by watching it on You Tube and now I have been doing my hair and my daughters for almost 3 years.  You are right to have someone in a salon do your hair is getting expensive but if you go to a beauty school, you will find some reasonable prices for all types of hair styles. Just ask for the student that is getting ready to graduate( that should be the one with the most experience).

SWEET737
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Quoting yo.momma.:

i can braid im just so lazy lol it can take me 2 days to do cornrows with extensions. i want to do my own i know its easy..i should say it looks easy since i have never done it before im just getting turned away by the amount of time it may take me :/ but i rather do it myself then pay 100+ for someones else. and i just had a daughter so i would like to get use to different things so we dont have to turn to someone else to do her hair like i see other do (no offense to those that do go else where)
Quoting SWEET737:

Congratulations on just having a baby! I am sure if going to the beauty school is in your budget, then go and get pampered(let some one else do it) for have the price you will pay at the hair salon.Yes, it is easy but your arms will get tired from holding them over your head etc. So if you have a girl friend that can help you out, then that would cut the time in half. Since I have taught my thirteen year old to do hair, she sometimes give me a break by box braiding her sister's hair and sometimes mines.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM
I've been natural for a year now. I love it. I only wear twist outs.though. Post pics please.
yo.momma.
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:51 AM

i will only if its decent lol

Quoting Anonymous:

I've been natural for a year now. I love it. I only wear twist outs.though. Post pics please.

zeenah
by Zarah on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:53 AM

It's pretty easier. I did it it my younger days. I separate 2 pieces and loop them then braid. I keep it tight so it doesn't slip down. It works for me.

"If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change."

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:57 AM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)