Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I am firing single mom

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My work has a strict call off/late policy. If you are late or leave early (even 1 minute) unless you find your own replacement you get 1/2 point. If you call off you get 1 point. If you call off several days in a row for the same reason you still only get one point but if you call off one day, work a day or two between and call off again it is 2 points. You get 8 points a year. If you have a letter from drs, courts, etc you still get a point (only exception is jury duty).

Well I had a employee that called off because her kids had chicken pox. That gave her point number 8. She came back to work, about a week has passedand I had to send her home because she now has chicken pox. Corporate told me I HAVE to fire her. I feel so bad because she is a hard worker and is a single mom. I begged and pleaded with corporate and they told me there was no exception and about 6 months ago they fired a man after getting squaded out of one of their facilities because he had a stroke. He already had 8 points too. I just feel so bad. I have not told her yet. I just feel like crying. I have argued with everyone I could in corporate.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Replies (21-30):
Curlyswirlymom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I absolutely hate all that points crap.  I worked briefly for a company that did that.  I stayed there for 4 months and then found a different position.  I had no intentions of calling out often, but it just didn't sit right with me.  I felt way to micro managed.  I'm sorry you have to fire her.  I've never fired someone.  That must be really hard to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Your company doesnt have FMLA ? I think she would be protected under it.
MixtlisMomme
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM
That is corporate for you. A woman was fired here because she had a bubbly personality..she lacked "seriousness" ...dam i miss her. =(
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Do you work for Home Depot? That's how they were when I was there.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Have her go get Fmla paperwork from her doctor TODAY (without your knowledge, wink wink). Tomorrow when you call to fire here she can tell you she has FMLA and legally you can't fire here. Oops.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM
They do offer fMLA. Her year is this month and it does not apply till a years worth of service. Also I do believe for fMLA it has to be something chronic or something acute lasting more than 2 weeks. Our HR handles all of that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Your company doesnt have FMLA ? I think she would be protected under it.

JC2223
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Personally, I wouldn't work for a company like that.

tardistraveller
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM

wow, that is a horrible company policy.  I wouldn't work for them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM
No I work at a nursing home

Quoting Anonymous:

Do you work for Home Depot? That's how they were when I was there.

Stephd710
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Do you work for Wal Mart?  This sounds like their bullshit policy when I worked there.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured