Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I am firing single mom

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My work has a strict call off/late policy. If you are late or leave early (even 1 minute) unless you find your own replacement you get 1/2 point. If you call off you get 1 point. If you call off several days in a row for the same reason you still only get one point but if you call off one day, work a day or two between and call off again it is 2 points. You get 8 points a year. If you have a letter from drs, courts, etc you still get a point (only exception is jury duty).

Well I had a employee that called off because her kids had chicken pox. That gave her point number 8. She came back to work, about a week has passedand I had to send her home because she now has chicken pox. Corporate told me I HAVE to fire her. I feel so bad because she is a hard worker and is a single mom. I begged and pleaded with corporate and they told me there was no exception and about 6 months ago they fired a man after getting squaded out of one of their facilities because he had a stroke. He already had 8 points too. I just feel so bad. I have not told her yet. I just feel like crying. I have argued with everyone I could in corporate.
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:13 PM
Replies (41-50):
meaganmac
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Wow, that really sucks that they're doing that and that you have to be the one to deliver the bad news. Maybe you can offer to give her an excellent reference letter and be available as a reference for any interviews she gets to help her get a new job.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM
Tell her you have to. Give we a chance to quit. It may look better on a resume then being fired.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Her one year is this month but towards the end 

Quoting LectioDivina:

That's completely illegal.

Tell her to get a lawyer and sure.

The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) was signed on February 5, 1993, by President Bill Clinton. The law came into effect six months later on August 5, 1993. FMLA requires employers to provide their qualifying employees with job-protected unpaid leave, for medical and family reasons. These reasons include personal or family illness, military service, family military leave, pregnancy, adoption, or foster care of a child. However, the guidelines of FMLA are not always adhered to by employers. The legal interpretations of many provisions and benefits of FMLA can also be misunderstood. This can lead to questions like the ones answered below.

In the state of Arizona what is the law on FMLA termination?

Arizona is considered a back-to-work state, although it may not mean exactly how it sounds. It means that an employee cannot be forced into maintaining a job. An employee can be terminated at any given time for any reason other than what is against the law and discriminatory. For example, firing someone for not illegally disposing hazardous waste would be against the law. It would also be against the law to terminate someone based on race, gender, religion or national origin. It is also considered discriminatory to fire someone who takes FMLA leave. The FMLA is applicable to businesses that employ 50 or more people. An employee of such an organization is entitled to take up to 12 weeks unpaid family medical leave, as long as the employee has been an employee of the organization for over one year and has worked over 1,250 hours in the year before taking FMLA leave.

How does someone get paid for Family Medical Leave?

FMLA is not paid leave. A person approved for FMLA leave does not have paid leave time. Employers have to continue the person’s insurance, but they do not have to pay them a salary during FMLA leave. Many employees mistake FMLA to be a paid leave, resulting in disgruntlement and a feeling of being misled.

Can a pregnant woman working in a hospital as a housekeeper be forced to take FMLA leave?

The employer may be forced to give someone family medical leave if that is the only type that is available to the employee. Employers could also be trying to protect themselves from any complications that could arise from working while pregnant. Being pregnant the employee is also covered by Title VII and the Americans With Disabilities Act, and the Pregnancy Discrimination Act. As per the provisions of these laws, employees should still be able to work if they can perform their job duties. This is what an employee should do when faced with this situation: Apprise a local employment lawyer of the situation and seek guidance. Ask the employer: What is the reasoning for insisting on the leave if the doctor says that the pregnant woman can still work? The pregnant employee may also check if the doctor will approve of any of the accommodation that the employer is offering.

What types of illness does the FMLA cover?

Illnesses that are covered by the Family Medical Leave Act include: An illness or injury that leaves the person impaired or physical or mental condition that requires hospitalization, hospice, or a residential medical care facility. If the person needs treatment two or more times by a health care physician. If they are not able to go to school, work or perform other daily activities. If the illness is permanent or long-term, and if it is the result of a treatment that was not effective.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

That is bullshit........Thank God my boss isn't a douche.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

ugh sounds like a hard place to work. Good for you for doing your best!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:47 PM

Quoting AnHpuresugar:

What compassionate corporation do you work for? I would be interested in not buying their products. Totally heartless. Personally, I would be looking for a different job. Life is too short to work for bastards like that.

A nursing  home 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM
Where do you work so that I can remember not to give them my business?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I fought for her.  It is not my choice! 

Quoting Anonymous:

That is bullshit........Thank God my boss isn't a douche.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Goodwill?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM

My SO could never work for a place like that. he is in and out of the hospital a lot. and has a lot of medical issues... that he misses work sometimes

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)