Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

there goes my sense of security

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 25 Replies

We just became first time home owners on September 27th when our home was finally done being built. We have been so happy, this is our forever home and it took awhile to be built, well we had a family emergency occur Tuesday afternoon and we had to leave town. We were alerted at 3am this morning by our security company that our brand new home was broken into. We rushed back home and I am just so depressed, whoever broke in didnt get much thanks to the alarm they did manage to steal our PS3, XBox, about $150 in cash and my wedding ring :(. I was under the impression that my husband had put everything in the safe before we left but apparently he did not. So now we have to have a window replaced, I just cant believe someone would break in. Nobody knew we had left, we didnt broadcast it on any social media, we left a light on in the kitchen and one in our bedroom on a timer so that they would turn on later in the evening.

Have you ever been victims of a break in? How did you deal with the creepy feeling afterwards? How did you explain it to your kids?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:44 PM
No but I've found stuff tossed all over my vehicles before. I didn't have anything important in there. Then my wonderful brother left my garage open and over $1,000 worth is stuff was stolen. We are still finding out what all has been stolen. We aren't even close to replacing it all.
WifeyandMom71
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:45 PM
I am so sorry. How horrible.
They might have been watching the house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

No but I've found stuff tossed all over my vehicles before. I didn't have anything important in there. Then my wonderful brother left my garage open and over $1,000 worth is stuff was stolen. We are still finding out what all has been stolen. We aren't even close to replacing it all.

Oh my god. I would have been furious, thankfully nothing was touched in the garage we have a bunch of expensive tools and things in there that are my husbands. Im sorry that your things were stolen, thats such a bummer.

emmypaige
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Yes, but I didn't have children. They beat my dog when they broke into our house which was the most upsetting part. I'm sorry that happened to you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM

Quoting WifeyandMom71:

Well now that creeps me out. This is a pretty nice neighborhood, its a gated community although I know crime happens everywhere, I just feel skeeved out now and it really bothers me. I never see anyone around our home, we have neighbors on either side and across the street. I am usually home during the day so I tend to keep and eye out, that's just weird if someone is watching my house.

Diamepphyre
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Yes and it sucks.  I've never regained any sense of security and I have absolutely no trust in neighbors either.  We're trying to buy a house right now and one of the things I want to do is retrofit a storm shelter/safe closet into one of the rooms, so I have somewhere to lock up valuables when we travel. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Quoting emmypaige:

Yes, but I didn't have children. They beat my dog when they broke into our house which was the most upsetting part. I'm sorry that happened to you.

Oh thats awful. Our dog is an inside dog and she went with us which was probably a bad move we should have left her there and had someone come check on her and the house but we were rushing to leave and didnt think. Pupzilla is like our 3rd kid

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM
I still get pissed off. I don't feel unsafe really. People don't usually shop in their own neighborhood and I know that 2 people were arrested going through other cars not a mile away. Dh wants to put up surveillance cameras so we can at least catch someone if it happens again. We've lived in this neighborhood 6 years and that's the only incident we've had.
Anyways we had to buy a weed eater right away and had a shed built, installed a garage door opener (so lazy people would shut it), and put locks everywhere.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh my god. I would have been furious, thankfully nothing was touched in the garage we have a bunch of expensive tools and things in there that are my husbands. Im sorry that your things were stolen, thats such a bummer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 5:56 PM

It might have been a neighbors kids.....

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting WifeyandMom71:

Well now that creeps me out. This is a pretty nice neighborhood, its a gated community although I know crime happens everywhere, I just feel skeeved out now and it really bothers me. I never see anyone around our home, we have neighbors on either side and across the street. I am usually home during the day so I tend to keep and eye out, that's just weird if someone is watching my house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Oct. 10, 2013 at 6:15 PM
I guess it's possible. The police were able to get some prints so maybe we will know soon. I know it wasn't our next door neighbor on either side as their kids are very young.

Quoting Anonymous:

It might have been a neighbors kids.....

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting WifeyandMom71:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)