Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teacher's way vs parent's way (homework)

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 56 Replies

I am having troubles with my child when it comes to homework. Especially with spelling. I am suppose to give them a spelling test on Thursday night. I do NOT go in order. My child argues with me that her teacher says "to go in order" that they are listed. I don't believe the teacher really cares what order they are in as long as we do the test. So after arguing with her, I have a headache and her spelling test is not done. I am emailing the teacher but I feel like I am running to the teacher and therefore putting myself at the same level with my child. She said, no she said thing. I told her to write her spelling words five times for me. Still, is giving me a hard time. I refuse to sign off on her sheet. I don't know what to do to get her to see that she is wasting all of our time being defiant with me. Anyone else have a child that is so bent on the teacher's way or no way?

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gwebkeijmmm
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM
3 moms liked this
Why can't you just read them in order?
tardistraveller
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM

DS pulled that on me once.

I just said, I don't care what she said, I'm doing it this way.  My house my rules, her classroom her rules.

That was the end of that.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM
2 moms liked this

Choose your battles.  Just go in order.  Get it done. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Why not just do them in order so you can save the battles for more important things.  It does seem like you are going down to your child's level!

desertlvn
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I'm a teacher here and I think you should set up a meeting. Have your child present as you and the teacher talk about homework routines. At the end of the meeting turn to your child and explain that you and the teacher have it all worked out, and next time she argues with you about homework at home there will be a consequence.

momo3fgr8tteens
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Why don't you just give them to her in order? It doesn't really matter. If she knows how to spell them its mostly memorization anyway so even if she memorized them in order, she still knows how to spell them. It would save you both a lot of grief. 

BeAuTiFuL.BLiSs
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Geez. Pick and choose your battles

This shit is stupid.
MamaRae85
by *you're on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

I get that you'd like her to learn the words as you give them to her as opposed to "in order", but why don't you just give them to her in order? I mean, if the teacher doesn't care, then it's a nonissue, but if the teacher says to go in order, why fight about it?

Also, if she's still giving you a hard time just about writing the words, I understand not signing off on it. I wouldn't either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM

well if she doesnt do it the teachers way and does things moms way she will be the one dealing with the teacher not the mom. Im guessing at some point kindergarten & 1 st grade the moms will start going to school everyday with their child soon, this way they are there to police everything.

as for the homework your child needs to learn to find the balance of understanding mom doesnt know what the teacher said and its okay to jump around with the spelling list as long as she gets it right on the test.

JTROX
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

It is frustrating when my son fusses about the way I want him to do something, and he tells me its wrong, that they don't do it that way, but I know full well, my way works out fine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN