Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Chapter 7 bankruptcy and VA disibility pay.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

Can anyone answer questions about a Chapter 7 bankruptcy and how it will effect me as a disabled veteran?  I get VA disability pay and social security disability pay. Yes, I have an income, (at least until DC decides I will) but I cannot afford to modify my home, my car, to suit what I can do for myself.  Please do not tell me to go to the VA, I have exhausted all of that information, no charity will help because I was injured prior to 9/11.  I have been to the media, movie stars, politicians, the lot. 

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:18 PM
Chapter 7 discharges your debts and you only pay on the things you want to keep. Your car payment and mortgage will stay the same.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM
I filed chapter 7. We kept one cc,a car payment and our mortgage. Nothing changed with any of them.

I know nothing about being a disabled vet, but i can answer any question abou the process.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM

It sounds like the chapter 7 is like chapter 13 in that you can keep things and pay for somethings and not for others.  I don't have a lot of debt, I just cannot afford to make all the changes to my current home to allow me to live safely on my own.  Also, if I put $30,000 worth of updates into my current home, I will have 2 1/2 times as much invested in it, in a neighborhood that is in steady decline.  Why do I want a $100k house when the best I can get from it to sell is $35k?  Also, why update something that is a losing battle?  I bought a car that the dealer swore that would carry a class 3 bumper hitch, but it won't, so I cannot put my power chair on the back of it and go someplace.  The car is six years old and has under 10k miles on it?  Those are miles that my ds put on it when his car was in the shop over the same amount of time.  I am so frustrated. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN