Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

You bought your 10 year old what?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 224 Replies

Poll

Question: What age will your children have a smart phone?

Options:

Under 10

10-12

13-15

Over 15

When they can pay for it themselves!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 359

View Results

My daughter has a friend who apparently has an iPhone with Siri, so it's a 4s or newer. My question is this: what purpose does any cell phone serve a 10 year old? And do they REALLY need an iPhone? I understand certain circumstances like nasty custody arrangements and things like this, but how often is your 10 year old really away from you where she doesn't have access to a reliable adult and their phone? Perhaps my his issue is that I know this parent can not afford these things and does take advantage of programs and things for the disadvantaged. And while I would never begrudge anyone help when they need it, how much help do you really need if you are buying extravagant items for your children ( I know how much those cell phone bills are) do you know how many groceries I could buy with the money she spends on a cell plan for her daughter? All the while receiving food stamps and cash assistance. Meanwhile my husband and I work everyday and bust our asses and can't (even if we wanted to, which we don't) give our children these things? I know that in the long run, my daughter will appreciate what we've done for her even though we aren't "cool" (as she put it) like her friends mom. What are your thoughts on 9 & 10 year olds with smart phones and tablets and such?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:49 PM

My EXH got my son one when he was 15. DS 12 does not have one yet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:51 PM

While I don't agree with this but my step-daughter has had an iPhone for years & she's only 12. She has a nicer phone than me.

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
13-15 and it will have the Norton Family app on it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
My daughter got a smart phone at 13. However i can see why a 10yo might need a phone. Some do so many activities or sports that it just makes it easier.
Islandmom2boys
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:52 PM
3 moms liked this
When they can buy their own.
HIJKLM
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM
3 moms liked this
As long as I'm paying for it my kids will have cheap "fail phones" with no internet or data messaging
sarasunshine99
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:53 PM

iphones, both children, ages 9 & 10.  

Sj218
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I upgraded to the iPhone 5 back in Jan. my 10 y/o will be getting my iPhone 4. But only because I can just add it to my data/family plan. I'm a divorced mom and my boy has to go to his dads e/o wknd. Exh is known to drink too much and have lots of extra people at his house. They do not have a land line and there has been a few times that my boy wanted to call me, but didn't want to ask dad for his phone.
Mychele
by Ruby Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:55 PM
3 moms liked this
Smart phone or not, my 10 yr old doesn't need one and doesn't have one. I don't see why any 10 yr old needs one. Ever.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:57 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids may have regular cellphones when they are 10+, but they won't have a smartphone until they can help make payments and show me that they can use it responsibly. I've got a niece who's often in trouble for sexting and sending naked pics of herself to older guys (like 30's) and she has an IPhone still!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured