Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's a good starter camera for a young budding photographer?

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM
  • 11 Replies
My almost 17 year old dd is really interested in photography. I want to get her a nice camera for Christmas but I don't know where to start. Any ideas? I need something good quality, but not too expensive. I'm willing to buy something gently used, I'll probably check out ebay, but I need some brands/types of cameras that would be good for a beginner.
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Check out the Canon Rebel. Great starter camera. You can find refurbished for cheaper, too.
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

A Canon Rebel or a Nikon.  I have both but I love my Canon the most.

onaflowers
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Point and shoot or dslr? Budget? Cameras can run from 50 to the thousands.
circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:14 PM
I don't know what dslr is, lol. As far as budget goes, I'd like to keep under $300 since I have 4 other kids buy for besides her. This will be her big present, though, so I want it to be nice, not some cheapo thing but I know nothing about cameras!
Quoting onaflowers:

Point and shoot or dslr? Budget? Cameras can run from 50 to the thousands.
onaflowers
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:20 PM
A dslr has changeable lenses and sometimes higher megapixels. Google should I buy a dslr or point and shoot. It depends on how much and how your daughter will be using her camera.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:49 PM

The point and shoot digital cameras have like 13X-15X zoom now.  So that might be a good place to start depending on your budget.

bellanicolexox
by Bronze Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I own my own photography business and am in love with Canon. Definitely look into the rebels, they are fairly affordable. If you can find a 50D or 60D refurbished it is a great camera and not too pricey at this point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 11, 2013 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Does she just like snapping pics or does she want to learn manual settings? If she really wants to learn, she needs a DSLR. I agree that the Canon Rebel would be a good choice.
circle_of_life
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Thanks for the advice! I checked ebay for the canon rebel, and saw a lot of good deals. It looks like that will be perfect for her!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:39 AM

DD just bought a Nikon D5100 and loves it - it has balance points in the lens to help focus the picture more.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)