Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you want to know how to coupon?

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:56 AM
  • 98 Replies
5 moms liked this
If you want to know, I will tell you, but know that every person will learn differently, and not everyone will have the same experiences. You might think of a better way for you to do this than I explain. If you do, go for it! I'm just explaining the basic's of couponing. First and foremost, before you begin, know the store you're going to be couponing at. If possible, get a copy of the rules and regulations for the coupon policy for that store. It will make things a TON easier on you, and the cashier when check out time comes. Also, your papers may be more expensive than mine, or they may be cheaper, but if you want to get coupons from those coupon sites, just know that all of them have a limit on the amount of coupons you can get ( from what I've seen, the limit is 2 coupons ). If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, but know that if there are a lot of questions, it might take me a minute to get to you.

Allright........here we go.

On Sunday, I would go out and get several papers. Usually I would get a Huntsville Times ( sometimes 2 of them ) for $2 each, and several News Couriers ( usually 4 ) for $1 each. I'd usually spend between $5-$8 on my papers. The HT paper has a TON of sales papers in them, while the NC has only coupons ( HT has coupons too ).

Then I would organize each booklet of coupons together, so that way I could get them organized faster, and cut out faster, and in my binder. ONE RULE OF COUPONING: DO NOT BE PICKY!!!!!!! EXAMPLE: I love me some Tide with Gain, but its never on sale. I never see any coupons for it either, But I see coupons for All and Purex and so many others. As long as it gets mine and DD's clothes clean, that's all that matters.

Once you have all your coupons organized, get a note pad ( preferably full sheet ) and a pen ( or pencil because you WILL be doing some erasing ). Then, go through each sales paper ( in the HT there are usually 8 sales papers ) and find the items that you have coupons for. Write them down. BUT IF YOU FIND A LOWER PRICE AT ANOTHER STORE, ERASE OR MARK THROUGH THE PREVIOUS PRICE AND WRITE THE NEWER, CHEAPER PRICE DOWN, EVEN IF IT'S CHEAPER BY JUST A FEW CENTS.

Once you have all that done, make you an itemized list of how many of each thing you are going to get ( ie 15 2 liters of soda, or 30 bottles of shampoo and conditioner ). When you write this down, BE SPECIFIC. WRITE DOWN THE BRAND AND ALL INFO ABOUT THE PRODUCT.

Once you have that done, check your rules and regulations paper that the store gave you. You might have to work your list out into a couple different transactions ( I do ) but it's not hard at all. Just abide by the RandR, and you'll be fine.

When you get to the store, IGNORE PEOPLE. THEY WILL STARE. Believe me, people WILL come up to you and ask you what you are doing. I mean honestly......if you saw a woman getting 40 something bottles of shampoo and conditioner, wouldn't you think something was going on too? Just ignore them. Now, I go to Wal-Mart because they price match. I don't know about other stores, but mine has little orange and beige stickers on the registers that say you don't have to bring in the ad's for the papers. I do just to be safe. When you get up to the register, organize your items. Put all of the same item for the first transaction, then the second item, then the third, and so on until you finish the first transaction. MAKE SURE TO TELL YOUR CASHIER ( if you use Wal-Mart ) THAT ALL OF YOUR STUFF IS PRICE MATCHED OR THEY WILL BEGIN SCANNING IMMEDIATELY!!!

WATCH YOUR SCREENS!!!!!!!!!!! WATCH YOUR SCREENS!!!!!!!!!!!! AND WATCH YOUR SCREENS!!!!!!!!!!!

Once the cashier gets done with your items, and totals out the register, give him/her your coupons, and watch the total drop quick!!!!!! Do the same thing for your other transactions as you did the first one. ALWAYS TRY AND MAKE YOUR FIRST ORDER THE BIGGEST. It's just easier for you and the cashier that way.

Now......if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I will try to get to you ask quickly as I can ( depending on how big this post gets ).

I hope this helps some of you out!!!!!
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM
I don't coupon much, but I did start watching my screens every time. I'm glad I do! I was at Walmart buying peppers once and the guy tried to charge me $4 for a habanero pepper, when I was really buying a $1 bell pepper. Not that $3 would have broken the bank, but I'd be pissed if I ended up paying $4 for a $1 item because the cashier just punched in a random pepper code.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:59 AM
And remember, this is just how I do it......not how you are supposed to do it. If you think of a different way that works better for you, go for it! Do what is the best way for you and your family, just be sure to have fun with it and of course, SAVE MONEY!!!!!! lmao
Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this
That's why I stressed to always watch your screens. You might get a cashier who has had a bad day, and they may scan something without realizing it, at full price, after they have already PM'ed it. I've had it happen, but because I was watching my screens, I caught it in time and they were able to take it off.

Quoting liss.n.chris:

I don't coupon much, but I did start watching my screens every time. I'm glad I do! I was at Walmart buying peppers once and the guy tried to charge me $4 for a habanero pepper, when I was really buying a $1 bell pepper. Not that $3 would have broken the bank, but I'd be pissed if I ended up paying $4 for a $1 item because the cashier just punched in a random pepper code.
liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM
It's a little harder to do if I have the kids, but it's definitely a good habit to get into. I'm trying to get my husband to do it too, but he's resistant lol. He usually can't even tell you how much he paid when he walks away from the cash register.

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

That's why I stressed to always watch your screens. You might get a cashier who has had a bad day, and they may scan something without realizing it, at full price, after they have already PM'ed it. I've had it happen, but because I was watching my screens, I caught it in time and they were able to take it off.

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Lol, yeah, that's not happening! 

Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:06 AM
O............M...................G!!!!!!!!!!!! He is that bad?! Oh he would have a panic attack about how anal I am with my stuff when it goes in the buggy!!!!! I watch my screens like a hawk and when it comes time to pay, I mentally calculate how much I should be paying before tax, and make sure its right. I've caught it a couple times where they have missed a couple of my coupons by accident.

Quoting liss.n.chris:

It's a little harder to do if I have the kids, but it's definitely a good habit to get into. I'm trying to get my husband to do it too, but he's resistant lol. He usually can't even tell you how much he paid when he walks away from the cash register.

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:07 AM
lmao

Why not?! It doesn't take that long, really. Maybe 4......5 hours out of a day. Maximum.

Quoting vegaswife2011:

Lol, yeah, that's not happening! 

liss.n.chris
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:11 AM
He is getting better, he knows what the items individually cost, usually, but he rarely pays attention to the total. Fortunately he doesn't do the grocery shopping. :)

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

O............M...................G!!!!!!!!!!!! He is that bad?! Oh he would have a panic attack about how anal I am with my stuff when it goes in the buggy!!!!! I watch my screens like a hawk and when it comes time to pay, I mentally calculate how much I should be paying before tax, and make sure its right. I've caught it a couple times where they have missed a couple of my coupons by accident.

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:21 AM
Please don't take offense to this, but I'd hope he doesn't do the shopping for the house! Lol

Its really not that hard to coupon at all. Just time consuming.

Quoting liss.n.chris:

He is getting better, he knows what the items individually cost, usually, but he rarely pays attention to the total. Fortunately he doesn't do the grocery shopping. :)

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

Quoting liss.n.chris:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 1:28 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)